D & M tools edit 'now turned into WIP thread'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomO

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just received an order from D & M tools. i'm stunned as I ordered yesterday at 15.45 (01/July/10). It arrived at 09.30 today (02/July/10).

I was gutted yesterday when I discovered I don't have enough clamps big enough for the panel doors I was making. It was already after mid day on thursday so I thought It would be next week before I could get anymore done on this project.

I went to order the clamps (Bessey uniclamps) anyway for next week. I opted for the cheaper 3 day delivery as it was too late for next day.

Knock at the door at nine thirty this morning and the clamps arrived. First door glued up and clamped by ten. I might get this project finished this weekend after all.

Cheers D&M.

Hi TomO

Well, tis always good to see that folks are getting prompt delivery with no hiccups! I take it you are also happy with the price you paid for the besseys?

Anyway, nice to see that your project is no longer delayed! Are you going to post some photos so we can see the outcome?

cheers
HM

TomO":o1f0al35 said:
I have just received an order from D & M tools. i'm stunned as I ordered yesterday at 15.45 (01/July/10). It arrived at 09.30 today (02/July/10).

I was gutted yesterday when I discovered I don't have enough clamps big enough for the panel doors I was making. It was already after mid day on thursday so I thought It would be next week before I could get anymore done on this project.

I went to order the clamps (Bessey uniclamps) anyway for next week. I opted for the cheaper 3 day delivery as it was too late for next day.

Knock at the door at nine thirty this morning and the clamps arrived. First door glued up and clamped by ten. I might get this project finished this weekend after all.

Cheers D&M.

Hi Hawk,

The price was the cheapest I could find (14.94 including vat each) I bought the 24" uniclamps.

They are good for the money, I cant justify more of the KR body clamps. I have one KR and its good and powerful but I like the more lightweight uniclamps as they are easier to handle.

As for the project, Its going ok. Its going to be a wall hung tool cabinet. For planes and fine woodworking tools, to be honest its as much to display the tools as store them!! ha ha

I will try to add some photos I have just taken but i'm not sure what i'm doing.

The cabinet main body is just softwood, deep door body for chisels etc. The doors are burr elm, with curly maple panels. I have "borrowed" some inspiration from other forum members tool cabinets after a few searches.

053-1.jpg

063.jpg

055.jpg

062.jpg

061.jpg

058.jpg

I could do with some suggestions for mounting the door fronts to the door bodys. Im scratching my head a bit.

As with most of my projects I only have plans in my head and deal with the problems one at a time.

Thanks in advance Tom.

Must say D&M do a good job to Ireland too - based on my several orders in the past year.

It's getting where i'll often take the hit of a few days delay even on consumables type stuff to mail order from other similar sources (Axminster do a good job too) - rather than drag myself around the local shoe box for an hour searching through mixed up shelves and in the end often finding stuff is out of stock...

Tom I was wondering myself about how you where going to fit the fronts to the door bodies. Pocket screws would be one way, I guess.

Lovely work BTW. Surpasses anything I've ever done. Not sure about the timber selection, or maybe board selection, for the front tho. Just personal opinion, mind.

Hi guys, cheers for the suggestions. i'm happy enough with the way the timbers look together but I am a bit gutted I had to have a join in the boards. My bandsaw was `just` too small to resaw the whole curly maple board I had.

i'm aiming for the cabinet to look very clean and simple. I have been reading Tom Fidgen`s book and very much like his style.

Hi Tom

Very nice work. My only criticism would be on the dovetails for the actual cupboard, the spacings seem a bit close, whereas the door dovetails seem well proportioned? But its only an aesthetic thingy and personal opinion. Otherwise all looks great.

As for attaching the frame to the door sides, as others have said, you could also use loose tongues or even dowels.

Thanks for sharing your project with us, hopefully we will see the end product fully laden with lovely shiny objects!! :D

cheers
HM

Hi Hawk,

The dovetails I am relatively pleased with, I spaced the cabinet tails pretty close as I have only handcut a few and thought this was a good opportunity to get some practice, but that was alot of dovetails. When I got to the doors I was not quite so keen any more so spaced them further apart.

I should have taken the dovetail photo on the other side, my blunder is on show. I was listening to metallica when I was cutting that side and chopped out the last tail by mistake. ha ha

Listening to Metallica whilst woodworking! :shock:

No wonder!! :lol:

Like I say it is by no means detracting from the overall tool cupboard which will ultimately be very cool once complete.

Be good to see some final photos once you have finished.

cheers
HM (listening to Radio 5 Live most of the time!)

TomO":25ci6ja5 said:
Hi Hawk,

The dovetails I am relatively pleased with, I spaced the cabinet tails pretty close as I have only handcut a few and thought this was a good opportunity to get some practice, but that was alot of dovetails. When I got to the doors I was not quite so keen any more so spaced them further apart.

I should have taken the dovetail photo on the other side, my blunder is on show. I was listening to metallica when I was cutting that side and chopped out the last tail by mistake. ha ha

Latest posts

Back