Cyclone Flat Pack Kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have I got this right. Would I be able to create a standalone cyclone from this kit with external clean air filters

Thats 1 thing I was trying to sort out, what and where would you or other members get a decent and more importantly right size filters from ?.

Cheers

Dave

Tisdai,
I'm currently searching for external filters. I have found the following companies.

1) rbindustrial.co.uk who seem to make filters in the UK. The only issue I can see is that they seem at first glance a trifle expensive.

2) Searches on Google show up a few companies after searching for Donaldson Torit. That is the name of a US based company who makes these filters for the ClearVu Cyclone company. I found a UK company which claims to have these at around £75 each so £150 for a set.

3) Searches on ebay but I keep getting less than perfect answers.

I guess that the best way to proceed is to get a specification for the Clearvu cyclone filters, assume a 3HP fan and see what we can find in the UK/Europe.

Alan

I was quoted for a filter by RB Industrial early this year and got a re-quote this month. The price had gone up by £40.

(the same filter used to be listed by RB on eBay but hasn't appeared recently)

Details are:

> RB123 Woodust Cartridge filter. (270gms Spun Bond PE Non woven. 11m2)

> For installation onto ~ 500mm dia. spigot

> 1027mm Long x 490mm o/d

> Air flow (suitable for wood dust) 1300 – 1500 m3/hr

> Cost £187 excl VAT plus £30 shipping (£260.40 total)

How does the spec of the Donaldson Torit compare?

Regards
Lynn

Still working at this, but have a few other bits to put to bed, hopefully doing some more machining at the weekend for it.

I did have a really good look at my extractor though, theres no sizeable dust in the bag at all and its clean like new. But theres no reason you couldn't buy a cartridge filter for your extractor or Heath Robinson it onto your extractor.

One question I've been mulling over before going down the cyclone route:

Do plastic cyclones generate a lot of static charge? I know Dyson use them extensively, but I assume theirs are conductive plastic (you can't afford many exploding vacuums, if you're a manufacturer). There's quite a charge buildup associated with my Earlex shop vac, which has a plastic tub.

I'm thinking about this for the Earlex, and a cyclone I'm contemplating as a mod for my extractor:

Putting strips of 2" aluminium tape carefully on the surface inside, possibly just at the top (no wrinkles/bubbles), and earthing through, say, a 50k resistor. That will probably kill the charge, but still allow for smooth air movement.

Has anyone had problems with static?

E.

I have a plastic Dust Deputy hooked up to an Earlex vac, and haven't noticed any static issues.

Si.

Hi Eric

Why do you feel a 'discharge' resistor is required ?

If the cylinder / container is conductive, then its conductive and a single earthing point should do.

Eric The Viking":v6um4x21 said:
Putting strips of 2" aluminium tape carefully on the surface inside, possibly just at the top (no wrinkles/bubbles), and earthing through, say, a 50k resistor. That will probably kill the charge, but still allow for smooth air movement.

I would do this, there is a noticeable charge build up with the plastic cyclone but I think sitting on the metal drum helps. Its less noticeable than when you cut MDF and extract with an non AS hose thou, its more than fun static that makes your hair stand on end rather than the blue bolt of shock you can get!

DaveyP":2g950mm3 said:
Hi Eric

Why do you feel a 'discharge' resistor is required ?

If the cylinder / container is conductive, then its conductive and a single earthing point should do.

It's not a discharge resistor as such. If the earth continuity fails (it's going to get connected/disconnected anyway to empty the bin), the thinking was that the high resistance should limit the current and reduce any chance of an accidental spark (assuming the resistor is still in circuit, that is).

I used to wear anti-static straps on footwear (electronics factory environment, with a deliberately conductive floor). They all have a high-value resistor between the bit underfoot and the ribbon you tuck into your sock, I think for current-limiting reasons. Otherwise there's no point. I haven't measured the value (still have some heel straps, somewhere), but it may be in the megohm range.

It's a reasonable question - it may well be unnecessary, but any unexpected spark = risk and I can do without dust explosions!

E.

P.S. where's BobM when you need him :-(

I think for current-limiting reasons.

Yes correct.. its quite important that any static discharge through the body should be be done "slowly" (relatively speaking) in order to prevent an ouch.

But for an inanimate object then holding it directly at earth potential IMHO is fine

Not to break up the static discussion, I need some extra market research.

I was planning on including the super glue with the kits, but I figure most if not all of you must have super glue already, so if I leave it out and offer it as a extra it will keep the overall cost down some more. Any super glue will do, just not the 2 part mitre fast stuff, it works fine but when it goes off it releases a gas that stains the lovely clear plastic around it.

Thoughts?

I had a long discussion with rbindustrial in Andover today. I was trying to make the point that £400 ish for a custome made filter was too much. During conversation they mentioned the Donaldson Torit filters and I was quoted a price of £92.00.

I found on ebay the following also from rbindustrial.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DONALDSON...ltDomain_3&hash=item53e69845b5#ht_1119wt_1170

I think my cyclone will need two of these stacked on top of each other with a small drawer/bin at the bottom.

Alan

Chems":160sw1mi said:

I was planning on including the super glue with the kits, but I figure most if not all of you must have super glue already, so if I leave it out and offer it as a extra it will keep the overall cost down some more. Any super glue will do, just not the 2 part mitre fast stuff, it works fine but when it goes off it releases a gas that stains the lovely clear plastic around it.

Thoughts?

No problem leaving ot the super glue, that is something we all have or can source from the pound shop. It might be beter to include the grounding strips as I am sure we don't want to order a role just to get a short bit for this project.

paultnl":31r9n8gl said:
Chems":31r9n8gl said:

Thoughts?

No problem leaving ot the super glue, that is something we all have or can source from the pound shop. It might be beter to include the grounding strips as I am sure we don't want to order a role just to get a short bit for this project.

Thanks for that feedback, just what I thought!

I think you do actually have to ground the entire system for it to work but I've no qualms buying a role of 10mm copper tape and selling it by the meter for people if they want.

Good news on the major works, spent the morning cnc'ing all the parts new joining strip works much better, not as pretty but works better and that what counts. I will photograph them tomorrow and be ready to take orders mid next week.

I will have an assembled model of the 100mm, 150mm, 50mm and 63mm to sell as well, so deference to people close to me as I don't want to be posting them ideally, PM me if your close to Northampton or Nottingham.

Here's a pic of the prototype 50mm, not so pretty as its been worked on more than once to get it right and has glue drops all over but it exists!

DSC00566.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00566.jpg
    DSC00566.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 53
Chems,

Ive just noticed this thread , do you think that would work on a Midi vac as a mobile cyclone ? as below

index.php

Back