Cutting to shape

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphatoner

Reaction score
Hi all

Need some general cutting advice. I have some 40mm solid oak worktop offcuts that i want to use for a project i have in mind but i need to cut it to very specific shapes.

for example I need to cut a clean 130mm hole in one piece.

I need rounded corners (= to appx 5cm dia)

I need to poss slightly round the edges

I need to have a large irregular shaped cut out (from a template)

Drilling various small holes 10/25/30mm etc, but they must be accurate vertically.

The last one is fairly easy, drill a hole and use a jigsaw bit time consuming but the result was OK. The first two I am struggling with been searching for a hole cutter of the right diameter but cant find anything that large. Same for the rounded corners, router seems the obvious answer but without a jig, is it possible?

For the drill holes can a drill press be used to accurately cut in the centre of a piece 650mm x 450mm?

All a bit vague I know, but just shows the very limited extent of my knowledge.

Would be easier to find a small commercial workshop that could do this for me (I am close to the M25/M1 in Hertfordshire. As I might need this done on a fairly regular basis.

Thanks for looking

A router will do everything you need to do in your list.
1. It will drill Vertically
2.It will cut out any size hole with a suitable template. (Which is easy if time consuming to make)
3 It will make rounded corners.
I'm not sure what your word 'poss' is to the edges but if you mean roundover the edges , it'll do that too.

John. B

Hi John

Thanks for that, but I think you don't realise how little I know. So for example to make a any large diameter hole with a router you would need a template/jig?

But that is a chicken and egg situation to me. To make a jig you need to cut a circular hole do you not? or is there another way?

The same would apply to doing curves would it not?

As for poss this was short for possibly.

I suppose what I am saying is it's no good saying "you can do it with a router" All that tells me is yes it's possible, but doesn't get me any closer to being able to do it myself.

If the next answer is "go on a course" then I might as well give up and pay someone else to do it for me, which might be the best option anyway.

alphatoner":24vu7tyl said:
Thanks for that, but I think you don't realise how little I know. So for example to make a any large diameter hole with a router you would need a template/jig?

But that is a chicken and egg situation to me. To make a jig you need to cut a circular hole do you not? or is there another way?

Trammel bar (I think??) is the posh name.

Think about drawing a circle with a pencil attached to the end of a piece of wood which is fixed at the other end. Now make it larger and replace pencil with router.

wysi

Hi,

This is why you need hand tools, cut a shape out with a pad saw smooth it with a spokeshave and you have your template.

Pete

I'm no router expert but I would say this is just crying out for a home made jig / template.

My first attempt would be something along the lines of: getting some MDF and drawing the exact shape I wanted. Roughly cutting it out with a jigsaw and then very carefully routing up to the line free hand. A fine metal file can also be used to shape MDF but it leaves a bit of a furry edge. A spoke shave will leave a fine edge if you have one. Seal the MDF with sanding sealer to toughen it up a bit then rout a test piece.

Circles, whole or part, can be routed using a different jig such as this http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2004/10/08/sn/, use this jig to rout any circular holes you need in your template jig.

There are two ways to follow the outline of the template: collar and bearing. The bearing is more accurate but the collar is probably simpler as there is less danger of damaging your template. The collar method requires the template to be a little smaller than the piece to take into account the distance between the edge of the collar and the edge of the cutter.

If you are making quite a lot of these items you could pay to get a jig CNCed for you possibly out of steel. If you are planning on making a very large number you could invest in a CNC machine yourself (or build one http://buildyourcnc.com/default.aspx which is what I'm planning on doing one day).

Hi, Wobblycogs

For a collar the template needs to be bigger then the hole.

Pete

Hello alphatoner,
I think for advise on this project a few more specifics are required.
Like, how big are the 'offcuts'? - (the reason) How they are to be held whilst drilling/routing is done
A drawing or plan of each offcut when finished, or what you would like it to look like. :?
What your project is? forum folk on here may have a better or quicker method of how to achieve your goal.

John. B

For 40mm Oak, I strongly recommend using a router that can take 1/2" shank cutters. Possibly around 1300 watts. Much bigger than this can end up with an unwieldy, heavy machine that is too big for delicate jobs.
Wealden tools sell a very good range of cutters of very acceptable quality and give good service.

Most routers will come with a circle cutting jig and you can use this to make your templates. Use of a template will mean you can check everything before cutting the actual job.

I expect you will find a basic book on router use helpful for general techniques followed by practice on scraps.

HTH

Bob

I was thinking about the rounded corners and general irregular shape requirements when I said the template needed to be smaller. The internal holes would, of course, need to be bigger then required. I wonder what the final goal actually is though? 40mm sounds a bit thick for a jigsaw puzzle :)

Back