Members can turn off viewing Ads!

cutting piano hinge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

As per the title, it is possible to/how do you cut piano hinge? I've got some that I reclaimed from a dismantled table.

Do I need to do anything to the rod to make it stay in place? Or am I going to end up with several pieces of bin fodder?

Many thanks

Dee J

Established Member
Reaction score
Examine the hinge and cut at sensible locations (between hinge knuckles) with a fine toothed hacksaw. Pin location is not a problem provided it's used as intended in fairly long >300mm sections.

Dee

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
And to go back to an earlier thread, if you have a Dremel-type rotary tool with a cut off disc, this will be an even better method of cutting piano hinge, especially if it's a newer "brass plated type and not solid brass. As said above choose a "sensible" place to cut - the knuckle between - but even the finest "junior" hack saw blade will tend to "bind" a bit as the saw blade breaks through the "tube" of the hinge into the hinge pin - if that's clear.

BTW, no help to you all in UK (but maybe?) - our Aldi here is Switzerland had a mains Dremel look alike (made in China, natch) with a pretty complete kit, all in a reasonable plastic carrying case, and all for just under 25 Swiss Francs (just under £17.50) last week. The "real McCoy" sells here for 5 times that price and is not so well equipped.

The only reason for mentioning this is that I guess that Aldi is an international company (German originally I think) with BIG purchasing power, so if the thing has appeared in Switzerland at that sort of price then perhaps it'll come to UK too?

Krgds
AES

OldSchoolTools

Established Member
Reaction score
Gents,

Why does'nt someone make a piano hinge where the screw holes are off set? this would save on the heads binding?
ive never really understood why they make it this way.

Gary