Cutting on work bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeing1964

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading about cutting larger pieces of boards directly on top of the work bench. Some sort of foam board is placed underneath the wood board to be cut but I'm not sure exactly what board to buy? My workbench is approx 5ft x 2ft

Any guidance gratefully received.

G.

Presuming its hand work you're doing.
What about another scrap board?
If you're looking for some sort of non slip mat, then it suggests you should have your work clamped in some fashion, rather than fighting with the tool.
I wouldn't risk damaging my hand saw, or indeed the work either.

Tom

Presuming its hand work you're doing.
What about another scrap board?
If you're looking for some sort of non slip mat, then it suggests you should have your work clamped in some fashion, rather than fighting with the tool.
I wouldn't risk damaging my hand saw, or indeed the work either.

Tom
Thanks Tom, would using circular saw, foam board look easiest and quickest option

Kinda in jest my last post was, but also serious at the same time.

Maybe you would get a better result if you edited your post something along the lines of below, instead of 'cutting on a workbench' as that is pretty vague.

What about something like ...solutions for circular saw use on a workbench,
Circular saw jigs for cutting on workbench, Best circular saw jigs, or something a bit more specific.

All the best
Tom

It sounds like you're after something to act as a sacrificial board between the work piece and your bench? I used to use a couple of pieces of foam insulation board. It worked quite well.
Hope this helps

I use a piece of 11 mm osb.
I put it under the piece to be cut so that the blade runs a few mm from the edge and allows the off cut to drop away, thereby not sacrificing anything.

I have a few pieces of cls to put boards on when using the track saw on my work bench, I find them handy as they are slightly longer than my bench is wide which means they’ll accommodate sheets bigger than my bench.
I prefer them to a sheet of insulation as they are easier to store when not in use & I find fine insulation dust really irritates my lungs.

WWMM uses a huge piece of insulation board when breaking down sheets, but he does it outside

I have my insulation cutting boards cut into 450mm squares that I can use on bench or outside but are far easier to store. Also use CLS battens.

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading about cutting larger pieces of boards directly on top of the work bench. Some sort of foam board is placed underneath the wood board to be cut but I'm not sure exactly what board to buy? My workbench is approx 5ft x 2ft

Any guidance gratefully received.

G.
This guy seems to be using expanded polystyrene, about 3" thick, just laid out on the bench. Whatever works to protect the surface and not hurt the saw?

Back