Cutting dado with hand router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niki

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day

After (and still) the very "active" - "Dado cutters..." post, I would like to share with you my jig and way of cutting dado with hand router.

I know that there are also other methods, with this method any straight bit will work and I always know where "the bit will hit".

The post includes the T guide, marking method and routing with 21 pictures (in color).

The marking example is made on MDF but the routing was made on chipboard for better contrast.

If you remember the knives from the "circular saw guide" post, they are in action again.

Sorry about my spelling mistakes, you have too many unused letters in English (ya?, what about French).

Regards
niki

Sorry, I did not see any point to reload the pics... there are much more easy and advanced methods for dadoing with router

Nikki,
well written and photographed, thanks.

Me thinks you should have a website with all your hints and tips.

Andy

dedee":1tkoh82j said:
Nikki,
well written and photographed, thanks.

Me thinks you should have a website with all your hints and tips.

Andy

I agree, some cracking tips. I like your approach to woodworking.

Hi Niki, Thanks for another good post. I really like the idea of using knives to set the width of your housing or dado...much better than pencil marks.

Thats going to be an immensly useful posting Niki, much appreciated.

Mods any chance of a sticky or a transfer to the articles section?

Hi Niki,

Well, another woodworking tip :) As it happens I could add a dado to my table saw, but since I already have a router and the bits to make your jig I think I'll save myself a few bob & do them with the router.

BTW yes, there are lots of unused letters in English but at least we don't have all those funny hooks & accents above & below the letters :) :)

I only mention it since I'm trying (Unsuccessfully it seems) to learn a bit of Czech and I'm told Polish is similar.

Hi Niki, You have some wonderful jigs there and like myself make most of your own. I also have a dado cutting jig I made that is very similar to your own with a slight modification which I think you might like to see. I can't claim the idea as my own as I saw a similar one on one of the sites on the internet and made my own version. it consists of two runners glued to a piece of thin ply and one of the runners adjustable while the other is set at 90 degrees the ply is cut through with the router indexed up against the runners and this then gives the exact fit for the bit used, in my case a 1/2" spiral bit. the shelf or support is placed between the ply edges and the jig adjusted to it's thickness and then locked off. the assembly is then placed onto the timber to receive the dado and the cut made, it is then a perfect fit in the dado. Here is a picture of the jig for you.

Thank you all

Losos
I'm also trying to learn Polish but my problem is that I speak Bulgarian, which is close to but different, and many times I'm confused about the pronunciation.
Wish you a good luck.

Mailee
Very nice jig, I made my jig some 8 years ago and I was thinking to change it to one like yours but for the time being I'm "stuck" with this one (lazy).
The only difference, that I can see is, that you can use only one diameter bit and I can use any size.
Thanks for the picture.

niki

Back