Cutting comb joints

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gentlemen,

Thanks to all for the sage advice. I will certainly adopt a number of the suggestions and will continue to practice, practice, practice.

I really like the idea of offsetting so that you cut the waste for both parts on the same pass of the saw. I also liked the advice to 'sneak up' on the line and to use a guide to work to.

I should be clear here: I know that cutting comb joints is just as hard as dovetailing and that it is much easier to cut the whole thing using a router and a jig. However, being the (now what is the word?...) 'ornery' or 'cussed' character that I am I will happily move to a router and jig method when I can cut these perfectly by hand (most of the time!). I am developing my hand tool skills first and then, as I want to produce parts more quickly, I will move to using a router and jig. The Incra jig looks good.

Thanks to all for the posts. When I have completed some joints that are acceptable I will post pictures of both before and after.

Kind regards to all!
Arch'

Back