Cutting Bandsaw Guide Blocks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams93

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
The guide blocks on my bandsaw are somewhat worn at the tip, allowing a bit of sideways play at the front of the blade.

I thought about trying to cut 3mm off them on the mitre saw to give them a new face - Is this a sensible idea?

Thanks,

Hi there , not that I have much bandsaw knowledge but if its possible to replace them if available-this seams like a safer option - other members with more knowledge may have a
better advice 👍

These blocks are small as it goes. Trying to hold and trim off a tiny bit with a mitre saw could be dangerous at best. Have you no small Japanese saw you could do it with ?. A fine dovetail saw for example.
If you replace as per suggestion above, you can pretty much pick the hardest material you can fine, or maybe something like lignum vitae as its got lubricating qualities as well.

Mitre trimmers are really handy for these little jobs. I use mine to trim the end of hydraulic hose so it is exactly 90deg for attaching the fittings.

If you have a belt or disc sander you can touch them up. If the wear isn't too bad you could hand sand them too. Clamping them to a mitre gauge and using a table saw will work. A mitre saw will work if you clamp them to a piece of sacrificial wood.

Pete

On my old saw I used wood guide blocks. I used to reface them on the disc sander. I would never have tried doing anything that small on a miter saw or table saw.
You could even do them by hand as not much needs to come off to get them square.
Regards
John

Axminster make a number of different bearing bandsaw guides to retro fit to Bandsaws, I did this to a Record Power BS350, there is a thread here somewhere: Bandsaw Accessories - Sawing - Machinery Accessories - Accessories | Axminster Tools

Link to thread: New bandsaw guides from Axminster
I like the idea of doing this but I did take a look at these before and i'm not sure it would be that easy to do to my saw. I might end up taking another look at the idea though.

Getting some Lignum to make some new ones is another option. I just wondered if resurfacing the current carbon ones would be simple enough. I'll try sanding them back on the disc sander first i think and see where that gets me.

Thanks for the advice!

I thought you were talking about wood blocks but yes you can sand carbon ones or even use a file. Are your carbon ones the Olson cool blocks?
For wood blocks I used jarrah as I had some but lignum would be the best wood for it. I found that the saw ran very nice and quiet with wood blocks. You do have to keep the faces squared up a bit more often but it does not take long to do.
Regards
John

I thought you were talking about wood blocks but yes you can sand carbon ones or even use a file. Are your carbon ones the Olson cool blocks?
For wood blocks I used jarrah as I had some but lignum would be the best wood for it. I found that the saw ran very nice and quiet with wood blocks. You do have to keep the faces squared up a bit more often but it does not take long to do.
Regards
John
No mine are just some carbon/graphite ones that came with the saw. It's fairly old too so they wont be anything fancy.

I have seen the phenolic resin ones and I liked the idea of trying them but thought I should try to refinish these ones first.

No harm in saving a bit of money. You can keep touching up the faces until they are too short to fit. My current saw has bearing blade guides but to be honest I dont see those doing any better a job than blocks.
Regards
John

Back