Cutting Advice from B&Q

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblycogs

Established Member
Reaction score
I was down B&Q first thing this morning picking up some MDF for some doors I'm builing for our kitchen cabinets. I had to get it cut in a couple of places so that it would fit in the car so I help the lad load the sheet on to the saw and tell him I want 600 off the right hand end.

The lad looks at me a bit worried and then says we'll have to turn the board around. A little confused because I think he wants the board rotated 90* so I show him where I wan't it cut. He repeats that we will need to turn the board around but this time adds that the machine can only measure from the left hand side. It dawns on me what he is worrying about so I just told him I didn't mind which end he cut off.

To be fair I suppose if it had been real wood it might have made a difference (avoiding knots etc) but I couldn't help having a little chuckle on the way out.

I hate it, when you tell them how you want it cut, even drawing it out on paper and they still cant do it right :lol:

Lost count of the number of times ive gone in with a list of sizes, and cutting plan, then they say i need x amount of sheets more than i worked it out to be just beceause they can only think one cut at a time.
Only ever pay for what i work out though, even had to get a senior staff member out to sort it out once :lol:

Hitch":1pdynpxd said:
I hate it, when you tell them how you want it cut, even drawing it out on paper and they still cant do it right :lol:

Lost count of the number of times ive gone in with a list of sizes, and cutting plan, then they say i need x amount of sheets more than i worked it out to be just beceause they can only think one cut at a time.
Only ever pay for what i work out though, even had to get a senior staff member out to sort it out once :lol:

I must be lucky. At my local sawmill, if you buy whole sheets, cutting is free.
The guys seem to like my drawings too. Although, it's true they are of the right generation to know what they are doing!

John :D

Cutting sheet materials at my local timber dealers is £1 per cut plus vat on top of the price of the timber. I buy whole sheets andcut them to fit in the car with a battery jigsaw or Japanese pull saw. I have a couple of 3 x 2" to keep the panels off the ground.

Mike Wingate":2pepdagg said:
Cutting sheet materials at my local timber dealers is £1 per cut plus vat on top of the price of the timber. I buy whole sheets andcut them to fit in the car with a battery jigsaw or Japanese pull saw. I have a couple of 3 x 2" to keep the panels off the ground.

That's relatively reasonable - when I bought some s\s bar (10mm) for pinning the tennons on my trusses - the local firm wanted £6 (+vat) for the 1st 4 cuts. Thought it was daylight robbery! Won't be using them again - other firms are happy to make the odd cut so you can get a 3m length in the car.

Sheet goods - now with the roof rack thingy - getting the handfull of sheets from the local merchants isn't a problem anymore.

Dibs-h":3s4miiig said:
Mike Wingate":3s4miiig said:

That's relatively reasonable - when I bought some s\s bar (10mm) for pinning the tennons on my trusses - the local firm wanted £6 (+vat) for the 1st 4 cuts. Thought it was daylight robbery! Won't be using them again - other firms are happy to make the odd cut so you can get a 3m length in the car.

Sheet goods - now with the roof rack thingy - getting the handfull of sheets from the local merchants isn't a problem anymore.

I use Paddy Whathisface's square roof bars. I kept some old ones I had, so I use three bars across the car. I also take 6 G cramps with me when I have to carry sheets on the car. They hold the sheets down no problem. I stack sheets so there's only a couple of inches overhanging at the front... less for the slipstream to get under! So far, no mishaps. :D

HTH

John :)

In the past few weeks I purchased 5 sheets of oak veneered MDF (3 @19mm and 2 @7mm) and as always the timber merchant (Bradhams) cut it perfectly to my Optimik provided diagrams and even labelled the offcuts. I counted the cuts on this lot and it needed a minimum of 80 - all included in the cost which was (american oak veneer both sides) £39.80 per 7mm sheet and £51 per 19mm sheet, both plus VAT.

Checking SLHardwoods site now, the 7mm is £33.15 and 19mm is £41.64 before VAT, cutting and delivery -so I am more than happy to keep giving Bradhams my orders.

Dave

Back