Currys/PCworld

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rorschach":3bnioqfk said:
monkeybiter":3bnioqfk said:
Has nobody considered the radical approach of saying "I don't have an email address, no internet etc.".
It's not mandatory.

Try saying that to a 17yr old saturday worker and they will die of shock.

I don't think my 22 y.o. daughter quite believes that her great grandmother (whom she remembers) never owned her house, had neither a bathroom or indoor toilet, nor a bank account - nor had she ever driven any form of motor vehicle.

whatknot":hnhp6w8b said:
I have had some good offers for things via these emails
Likewise - A couple of online-only shops have sent the old, "We haven't seen you in a while" emails, which came with £20 store credit to entice me back... not £20 off, or 20%, but genuine twenty quid free to spend in their shop. I got some free bits and free postage, no hassle, no worries, thankyewverymuch... bought nothing from them since, so all good.

ITS, on the other hand, insist on weekly emails trying to sell me everything, from the very woodworking tools I already bought, right up to on-site concrete and bricklaying machinery. They don't even have the decency to spy on my purchase or browser history and tailor their marketing accordingly... oh, and they chuck me a paper catalogue almost as big as the Yellow Pages, just in case I haven't got the internet... free fire-starter paper, I suppose.

You can set up as many free Yahoo and Gmail accounts as you like, for those hassle places whose till processes won't let you buy without an email.
As for over 40 - All my other friends of such age actually know far more about the internet than I do!!

phil.p":2y154oxt said:
I keep getting emails from Axminster reminding me of things I'd left in my basket .............. things I've never looked at. :D
Are they actually in your basket, though?
I've had that before, even one company phone me up just to check I wasn't having problems with their webshite, which was kinda cute...

Yes, that's what the email says - are you sure you haven't forgotten something? (iirc), then shows me my selection - which sometimes includes things the existence of which I was previously unaware. The only time I've ever had an Axminster basket is when I've ordered stuff on the same visit.

John Brown":17dj4moz said:
Rutland are really bad for this. I never even read their emails any more. Must be counter productive, I'd have thought.

I've got that way with Rutland emails as well. Always emailing the same old same old. I just see Rutland now and delete it.

another vote for the junk email address.

That said my current (real) email address is getting 40 ish per day and 99% is junk (or axminster :) ) I will be creating a new one soon and abandoning the current one.

One of the main issues is around "big" data, where the internet conglomerates collaborate and match up your viewing and spending patterns. So when you search for bandsaws on say google, you visit a non-google site (or google ads linked site) and either get targeted marketing or straight forward direct marketing based on your internet history. This drives me nuts. I usually search for a few things then buy one i've decided on - so i dont need adverts for the next 10 weeks telling me which bandsaw to buy.

e.g. I bought my Dad some noise cancelling headphones for xmas - searched a bit on line , went in store and bought some from Currys (didn't give them my email address though) and now I a still getting mails and adverts for headphones

Rant over :)

fezman":2j5kfghu said:
One of the main issues is around "big" data, where the internet conglomerates collaborate and match up your viewing and spending patterns. So when you search for bandsaws on say google, you visit a non-google site (or google ads linked site) and either get targeted marketing or straight forward direct marketing based on your internet history. This drives me nuts. I usually search for a few things then buy one i've decided on - so i dont need adverts for the next 10 weeks telling me which bandsaw to buy.

It's one of the things I hate most about the internet and whilst there are some workarounds, nothing lasts and soon back to the adverts. It's counter productive in my case as I never click on them, except when by accident the mouse pointer lingers for a second over something and it opens, drives me bl**dy nuts!

I've been with BT as internet provider for a lot of years as I negotiate a deal every year but one of the original reasons was that they had no adverts on the log in pages until years ago they suddenly appeared. I complained like hell and got nowhere until I emailed the , then MD and he tried to get them removed but couldn't, I got 'phone calls from Libby Barr and they couldn't find a way around it as they were embedded and of course were raising revenue so just had to accept it in the end. Did get some discount though!

As someone raised the left in basket subject

You will find if you go to some web sites and add an item you are wishing to buy (after signing in of course) then exit without paying, you will receive an email a day or more later offering an extra discount

One I can remember is Europarts, if you leave something in your basket without paying they will follow it up with an extra discount to tempt you

Again I see nothing to complain about in this and it can only be a bonus, if you really don't want the item either ignore it or go to the site and cancel it

In all the years I have used the internet I have never had an email saying there is something left in the basket that I didn't know about

That suggests someone is using your email address in which case I would log in and change the email address

My bugbear is sellers that won't tell you the cost of delivery until you either sign up for an account or give all your details. That includes comparison web sites. If I really want to know, I'll often enter a load of bogus details just to see the total cost

fezman":36ztc99n said:
another vote for the junk email address.

Yes but then all those long-lost relatives who want to give you millions or those business opportunities who want you to help someone release $10,000,000 from a hidden account won't be able to reach you :D

[for the avoidance of doubt, what follows is THEORETICAL - no allegations are being made about any person or organisation]

On the original thing, the stakes are about to be upped in the game, substantially, in favour of the consumer.

Obviously, Curry's/PCworld have absolutely no right to demand an email address (though it is reasonable to ask for it, I suppose). If they do gain your email address, "in order to send you an electronic receipt" it is presently illegal for them to use that information for any other purpose at all (Data Protection Act).

If they attempt to be deceptive about this, for example telling the consumer one thing (about wider use) whilst they answer differently to opt-in/out questions the till prompts them, and don't show those to the consumer, then they are way over the line into illegal territory.

Proof of this supplied to the Data Protection Registrar would probably result in a healthily-large fine. Given that company's presence on the high street and the business they are in (including giving out computer security advice, ironically), I'd expect the DPR to take a keen interest pretty quickly.

On May 25th 2018, the General Data Protection Regulation comes into force in English law (and, I assume, the rest of the UK, too). At that point all sorts of stringencies about reasons for keeping and methods of securing and protecting personal data apply.

For example, presently you can email people for any reason, if you have obtained their email address legally and you give them an option in every message to be removed from the list ("unsubscribe"). Under the GDPR, you need explicit permission to email people for any specific purpose - a general permission may not be valid. This should put an end to traded lists of email addresses (don't bank on it though!).

GDPR applies to all forms of stored data, including paper (or even carved stone tablets!), and has extra stringencies on the basis that only authorized people within an organisation, who legitimately need access to specific data may have that. As I understand it, it won't be legal, say, for even the MD to have access to the detail of a mailing list, because despite their seniority, that isn't part of their job function.

Smart organisations are doing several things right now (in a bit of a panic, it would seem, given some of the ones we interact with at work):
1. Sorting out their internal processes and data security systems so as to be fully compliant, including categorizing information carefully and destroying stuff they don't have permission to hold.
2. Requesting permission to continue sending from all names on their mailing lists (printed literature and email - the GDPR doesn't differentiate).
3. Asking any contractors they use to do the same, and (the more sensible ones are) dropping contracts with those who don't. From a company perspective, if a contractor breaks the GDPR using your data, you are responsible, as it is your obligation to safeguard said data and not let it be misused.

The GDPR will be a game-changer with regard to junk mail, email and phone calls, or at least it ought to be. Regulatory bodies such as the DP Registrar's office are historically ridiculously underfunded though. Time will tell if the new regulation is well-enforced or not.

So, if you want to frighten middle managers in retail under such circumstances, you might mention that they will not have permission to continue using any information you give out now after May 25th when GDPR kicks in. They will have to obtain your explicit consent to use any of your data, all over again. Better still, get them to sign a piece of paper confirming the conversation has happened!

Every employee who handles personal data, including staff who put data in at tills, should be trained on the implications of GDPR, as it directly affects their jobs and responsibilities. Drawing attention to this might help concentrate corporate minds a bit, because there are more than a few organisations in complete "denial" over GDPR right now.

All very good in theory

But as the vast majority of spam comes from countries outside of any data protection agency it will have zero effect on the volume of spam IMHO

Eric The Viking said:
[for the avoidance of doubt, what follows is THEORETICAL - no allegations are being made about any person or organisation]

On the original thing, the stakes are about to be upped in the game, substantially, in favour of the consumer.

You seem to have an awful lot more faith in the authorities than I do ;-)

And as the EU is down the pan, so to speak, what then

It seems to me it puts yet more regulation on companies who are likely to do things the right way anyway

The emails I receive are by and large ones I want to receive

Eric The Viking":1japg6to said:
It's a pan-EU thing. It obviously will have no effect on phishing attacks, etc. as they are intentionaly criminal from the outset. But it will (or should) make a difference to any firm with an EU presence (or EU assets), even the really big people.

I just hate all this email/spam rubbish we get these days. I was getting some bad stuff from Nigella.com, by bad i mean huge amounts. You can filter it to spam as others have said, you should be able yo unsubscribe if it has this facility.
Nigela.com did not have this. Now if your using gmail open the email and at the top right habd corner where the REPLY button is you will see a little down facing black triangle, click this and choose SHOW ORIGINAL. What comes up will be a page with a ;lot of text, in there you should find an email address you can reply to. If not look for any email address and use it to complain really really loud, tell them you want this rubbish stopped at all costs or it will be reported to you ISP.

I did this with Nigella.com ( i wanted a recipe and got hit with multiple emails a day) and the web site i found in that load of text email back giving me an email address to report this abuse to. This stopped the emails dead.
If you have to do this again ask if there is an unsubscribe link, some have it but it is incredibly small and can be grey in colour.

Back