Currys/PCworld

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finneyb

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought headphones from them just before New Year.
They wanted my email address to send invoice and make storing guarantee easier.

Now getting marketing emails eg offering me a full £10 off a £270 washer etc.
I can't unsubscribe, or at least can't find the unsubscribe button.

Before I take them publically to task for being disingenuous in their email collection methods - have I missed the unsubscribe button?

Brian

Oh, by the way, Office Outlet (what was Staples) do this too. Ask for your email like they have to have it and have every right to it. They look really sour when told "No". I bet management are given targets for how many email addresses they collect each month :)

I NEVER give my email to any shop where I am in the shop.

PC world wanted it once at the checkout. i said I dont want spam. he went into a several minute long talk about how that doesnt happen and all my consumer rights and they must have the email to complete the CASH sale.

I called the manager and told him he doesnt get the email, I'll put it back on the shelf else.
He had to put his key in the till to bypass the step, as the lad could not complete the sale without it.
i bought my stuff and left, and I have never had a spam email from them.
I suppose I could have given my brothers email, but hey, I dont hate him that much.

sunnybob":xterc6ui said:
I NEVER give my email to any shop where I am in the shop.

PC world wanted it once at the checkout. i said I dont want spam. he went into a several minute long talk about how that doesnt happen and all my consumer rights and they must have the email to complete the CASH sale.

I called the manager and told him he doesnt get the email, I'll put it back on the shelf else.
He had to put his key in the till to bypass the step, as the lad could not complete the sale without it.
i bought my stuff and left, and I have never had a spam email from them.
I suppose I could have given my brothers email, but hey, I dont hate him that much.
I take a very similar approach and have almost been thrown out of Screwfix of all places for having an argument about their need for my email address to complete a sale (cash, - £3 on screws). All sorts of reasons proffered none were valid. I tend to avoid them now if I can (Toolstation round corner).

The other alternative is just to make one up on the spot or use an old one. My missus is under instructions not to use our real one unless she is confident of the need.

Not sure there is anything to complain about really?

Surely everyone knows that a company requesting an email address means they are going to use it for mail shots?

I use one email address for all advertising etc, just check it periodically

I have had some good offers for things via these emails

Its also useful when you are having stuff delivered as a few retailers send updates to tell you when the delivery will be

Embrace it can be useful, just give them an email address for that purpose

Of the admittedly few cold sell emails I have received, I have NEVER had an offer of anything I might want to buy.

My pet hate phrase is "we think you will like these".

As Rorschach suggests, just give them some bogus email.
Life's too short to be having words with cashiers and managers.

I am one of those people with a special email address which is kept for such reasons. I do check it occasionally, when I remember, but it is not a problem for that very reason. An occasional bulk delete is also very satisfying.

K

You normally are allowed a number of email addresses by your internet provider, without checking I think mine is 10 via BT so I have a separate one which I give to the likes of Screwfix and I never bother checking it as I know what they use it for. I also have another one I use when buying on line as often you can't complete the transaction without one and those companies send loads of cr*p as well. Or just set up a gmail address!
As said, if anything else slips though, mark it as spam.

dzj":271rd7vp said:
As Rorschach suggests, just give them some bogus email.
Life's too short to be having words with cashiers and managers.

Some people appear to actually like arguing.

But a bogus email is much easier, as you say.

BugBear

Has nobody considered the radical approach of saying "I don't have an email address, no internet etc.".
It's not mandatory.

monkeybiter":3sqhf4cq said:
Has nobody considered the radical approach of saying "I don't have an email address, no internet etc.".
It's not mandatory.

Try saying that to a 17yr old saturday worker and they will die of shock.

monkeybiter":3l8gh8nb said:
It's not mandatory.

Nobody under the age of 40 would believe you.
people over the age of 40 would smile knowingly.

Back