Crown moldings / mouldings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkman

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to finish off some bookcases with a nice moulding around the top. Any ideas on what to google for as 'molding' just turns up flat stuff or decorator's coving. Any recomendations for suppliers then fire away, it'll be painted so MDF is fine.

Thanks

If you have a router table you could think about a cornice cutter, I have a trend one and have run several 100mts with it so soon pays for the initial purchase price, I think Wealden also do a few profiles.

If you want off the shelf timber then Champion Timber have several in their range.

Also try Thames Moulding Company 16B Whytecliffe Road South, Purley, Surrey CR8 2AU T: 02086680332 Don't think their web site is working but they do hundreads of timber mouldings as well as specials.

Jason

If you lived a little bit nearer I could run you a bit off on my router table ,however,If you or a mate have a 1/2 inch drive router table then it might be worth while buying item tr236 (search under router bits )from www.rutlands.co.uk .I have used this bit a number of times to make mouldings for the tip of bookcases and its a belter and it only costs £19.95
(only says the man ) Cheers John.

Don't overlook the solid wood and wood veneer-wrapped MDF cornice mouldings sold in 3 metre lengths for kitchens by people like B&Q

Scrit

Amateurrestorer":bx32ify9 said:
If you lived a little bit nearer I could run you a bit off on my router table ,however,If you or a mate have a 1/2 inch drive router table then it might be worth while buying item tr236 (search under router bits )from www.rutlands.co.uk .I have used this bit a number of times to make mouldings for the tip of bookcases and its a belter and it only costs £19.95
(only says the man ) Cheers John.

Hmmmm, I don't have a router table but my college does... sage advice guys, thanks, and the B et Q is interesting, I didn't think they did anything that useful.
I had wanted to fit an overhanging moulding but maybe I should stick with a Flat moulding instead... be a lot easier.

Marko

Just a flat strip of wood with a chamfer will look quite effective, bit like these

MarieAnge1.jpg

display.jpg

Jason

B et Q came up with the goods, namely a 'heritage' moulding brand that was a bit more but did the trick. Thanks for the advice. Will post pic when I get the chance

Back