Cross Grain Floating Tongue Joints

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biliphuster

Established Member
Reaction score
So, as I was working on something recently I needed to join two boards together but I knew they would be getting rough treatment, so I thought about doweling them, or ideally tongue and grooving. Alas, whilst I have a plow plane I have no way to make the tongues unless I want to cut them out as super long stubby tenons. I had seen recently in "Modern Practical Joinery" a joint for such an occasion with a loose tongue floating in a double groove. Closer inspection of the image showed that the tongues were cross grain to the boards they were joining. This seemed like a good idea so I gave it a go.

I first planed up a small board to the right thickness (1/4") to act as the tongue. The board was 4" wide and I wanted to join a stretch of 20" so I sawed some sections from the end and inserted them in the grooves. The fit was not great for all of them, but I made sure the one at the front was tight as it would be exposed.

t1.jpg
]

The other component had differently oriented boards, so I could cut the tongues on the end of the boards and they were only 8 inches or so. The glue up was a little wacky though

t2.jpg

The I traced a grid on so I could draw a symmetric curve

t3.jpg

Some shaping with drawknife and spokeshave

t4.jpg

And complete

t5.jpg

With a close up of the finished joint

t6.jpg

Edit : Looking at the pictures I see it still a bit dusty and the neoprene I used as washers has got everywhere!

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 716
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 716
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 716
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 716
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 716
  • t6.jpg
    t6.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 716
You've done an excellent job there Biliphuster. That's some very neat shaping work, it all looks very uniform and professional. Well done!

=D>

Back