Critique required-Piece No1.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Well only been turning for about 9 months,and i think to date this is my favourite piece.So have put it up for critique just to see what others think and to see how much i've improved,or not :roll: but also to from my mistakes,or what could ahve been done better.
It is Apple,turned to about 2mm wall thickness,and has warped which i like.The hole in it was where i split the log and there was a big knot holding the 2 halves together.
Sizes are-7" dia x 3-1/2" deep.

appleflash1.jpg

apple2.jpg

Paul.J.

I like the overall shape apart from the fact that the line from top to bottom is straight. Maybe curving it in would have given it a better line. Matter of taste?

I like the knot hole and the warp but then it's my type of thing innit :lol:

Nice finish Paul.

Pete

Hi Paul.

I concur with Pete, not a great lover of straight sides. (again only my opinion) Pity there wasn't more heart wood showing but that is dependent on the wood so can't really be helped.

Knot hole in the side, it might have been useful to have penciled in some similar shaped cut-outs around the rest of the rim to see if you could have sculpted most of the rim, making sure you leave the heart wood showing. It would look better with a random shaped edge because of the original defect. IMO :lol:

Nice work though, not the easiest wood to dry and work with.

Paul

You've done well to achieve a 2mm wall thickness and as has already been said the fruit woods aren't the easiest to dry without checks and splits.

I'm afraid I'm another who prefers flowing curves rather than straight sides and that is what I now concentrate on in my own work. A flowing curve produces a very simple looking form but it is very hard to achieve. I know of one turner who practices on up to 50 vessels before turning the finished piece that he had in mind :!:

A technique used a lot at critiques is to turn a vessel/bowl over and view it up side down. If it's pleasing to the eye that way it's usually looks good the correct way up.

Paul

Paper thin wood turnings, show the skills and techniques of the craft have been mastered, they prove to other turners that the creator has a gentle touch, a sharp tool, and a good eye, and reflect great skill and care and justifiably both turner and piece command great respect.

I think the simple straight side form you have made is the easiest and simplest way to achieve the paper thin bowl, and must say you look to have achieved it well, with out seeing the piece close up, it looks as though you have a great finish on it, you have kept the defect (the knott hole) and I like that, it does not conform to the general concensus that paper thin must be perfect, I am a great non conformist, a loose cannon myself, and think that if everything in life was perfect what a boring dung place the world would be, I like defects, highlight them, make a feature of them, its natural and should be regarded as a highlight.

I think Paul, with this piece you achieved what you set out to do, and you did it well, if this is the way you wish to go, ie technical turning, paper thin pieces, you are well on your way, however I think that that type of turning is at the expense of the natural beauty of the timber, and if I where you, before turning do as I do, place the chosen piece of timber on your work bench, pull up a stool, light up a fag, have a cuppa, and look, study the timber, see where the grain flows, see the knotts and features, let the timber speak to you, (it's not a hippy thing, and you dont need to be on drugs) it will tell you its shape and form, then all you have to do is turn it.

Forget paper thin, you have done that, let the wood talk to you.

Chris

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions :D
The aim of this piece was just to try some Apple,which i had recently,at the time been given.
I read up on turning fruit woods,and found that the best way to go was to turn it as green as possible,and thinly,and let it take it's own course on drying out.Some split,some don't.I got lucky :D
I think ctb as summed up well what i was trying to do with the wood.
There was about another inch of wood above the knot hole but this was really rotten,so had to go.It would have been better to keep the hole,whole i think.but couldn't.
If i'd have cut more simliar shapes round the top edge as suggested this wouldn't have shown the natural hole in the wood.
The straight sides were again because i knew the wood was going to warp,so thought it best to leave the sides straight because of this.
Once again thank you for all you comments.
I'll have to put another one on now :D

This is how the piece as ended up now.

applenoflash.jpg

Paul.J.

I agree with Chris - it looks better now than when you turned it (has a more natural and "fluid" look to it)

Andrew

Paul, anxious times awaiting the final outcome of the shape :!:

Having now done a few straight sided pieces myself, and there are quite a few people that immediately go for them as being different from the 'curved' forms, my only observation on the piece would be that it might have looked better with the foot reduced a little in diameter to hold it slightly above the surface, (say 4mm).

I have seen some similar done in 'bland' timber that had a little colouring added to the outer surface which picked up and enhanced the grain pattern and looked OK, as usual though others looked 'overcooked'.

have you tried microwaving green wood,it warps even more then,can look quite good if it goes the right way,regards, Eric

The young man from Birmingham is doing very well to produce such fine quality work in such a short time. The object will no doubt distort and move lot being so thin and a fruit wood. Another tip is to look at your work in a mirror which is what some artists do.

Back