Critique please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Established Member
Reaction score
A drinks coaster I turned, end grain maple 90mm x 6mm

lmaple01.jpg

Dean":2osm0gkk said:
A drinks coaster I turned, end grain maple 90mm x 6mm

lmaple01.jpg

on a personal note I dont like it as a design - my feeling is that the natural beauty of wood should be the main thing and that texturing should only be used to highlight this - e.g perhaps by texturing a border and leaving the rest polished.

however this is my personal opinion and not germane to a critique of your techique as i'm sure others will disagree.

technically its excellent - you clearly have the texturing down , and shape and form are otherwise spot on. - How did you hold the work ? and whats the other side like ?

Im not too keen, but probably just the amount of texturing used. Will a glass stand on it ok ?

I must say though i was nosey and looked at your photbucket. The boxes on there are fabulous !!!!

Loz

Also normally not a great fan of texturing,but,oddly enough, I really like this :D
It's definitely got visual appeal,and as already said,looks technically excellent!

Andrew

Well executed! A little too busy for me but I appreciate the skill :wink:

From a practical viewpoint: does a glass or cup/mug sit comfortably? Just wondered if the design interfered... :?:

Hi Dean,

I like it as an exercise in texturing.

Did you use the Sorby tool :?:

I ask as I got the RS2000 and the 300 full texturing/spiralling kit as part of the deal when I bought my s/hand CL4. I haven't yet tried any texturing but I like the effects you have produced.

Regards,

Mike C

Has an ethnic look to it. Not too keen on stuff that has been over ornamented. The message is always keep it simple and let the wood do the talking.

Shows a high level of control over the texturing technique Dean, but as mentioned by others I think it is over the top for a Coaster, great talking piece though amongst woodies.

A textured rim with a polished central well would in my opinion be more practical, both for security in placing a vessel containing liquid and in the ability to wipe it clean of any spillage.

Also if making a matching set a simpler design for ease of duplicating and the ability to stack the items by turning the base to nestle in a central well would be an advantage.

I tend to agree with some other comments

Yes put a ring of texture around the outer edge then leave a flat polished surface showing the wood and giving a flat firm base for a cup / glass to stand on :wink:

Well done :p

Cracking piece of Texturing Dean :D Did you use the tools you made yourself :?:
I would have to agree though not a very practical piece as it is.
I would leave it plain from the third ring in for the cup/glass to stand flat on.

Totally agree 100% with all about it being OTT on the texturing.

BSM, I turned it on a larger blank then cut it off on the band bandsaw, I made a set of wooden jaws that fit my supanova to clean up the bottoms.

Thanks Loz & Powertool

Oldsoke, the glasses do stand comfortably

Mikec, I used a tool I made, I'm not sure if a sorby system can cut at the same scale and incorparate the chatter effect with the same cut as the spirals :? would be interested to see

Soullfly, I'll have to agree with you :shock:

CHJ, "Also if making a matching set a simpler design for ease of duplicating and the ability to stack the items by turning the base to nestle in a central well would be an advantage"

Thats a nice little project for later on, thanks Chaz :D

Thanks Blister, noted

Paul, Get your ar*e back to that lathe pesent, Time is money :twisted: :wink:

coasterglass.jpg

Actually - now i see them with the glass for scale - i kinda like them !

Nice chuck jaws by the way !

:lol: taking your own advice and getting your Rs back to the lathe? :lol:

Flashes of insp.... should be shared .... in case it's a nickable idea :wink:

Luv the chuck :!:

Dean, If you dont mind me saying it would look great as a wall piece. Fantastic texturing, but it should let the wood be "seen". Would love to be able to do it though. :lol: :lol: REgards Boysie

Dean":5wdmqqjt said:
I used a tool I made

I think that deserves a thread of it's own, the design for a home made chatter tool that can do that needs to be stolen.... I mean shared :lol: :lol: :lol:

Richard

oldsoke":5783dxi8 said:
:lol: taking your own advice and getting your Rs back to the lathe? :lol:

Flashes of insp.... should be shared .... in case it's a nickable idea :wink:

Luv the chuck :!:

It's nickable Graham, I nicked it off off Chas, a set of matching coasters with a base for them to be stacked in
Well, a lot of comments have been made about showing the wood or let the wood show, that's a bit tricky with end grain on a small scale especially end grain maple, the wood needs to be a tight hard end grain to support the design, Maple is ideal and a lovely wood to turn but it tends to lack in Character so I'll try turning the coasters with a recess in the centre and add a contrasting wood, no design just polished wood, well that's the plan anyway :? :lol:

Thanks Boysie.

Richard, you won't need to make your own when or if I can get the magic ingredient 8)
If the plan hits a brickwall I'll do a thread here with pleasure, but I'd need help with some of the pictures, could be a little tricky on my todd and it's no good asking you know who to take a picture :shock:

Back