Cranked Hinges For House Doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing? I'm sure I've seen them but can't find any on the net or my catalogues. Have tried the usual suspects (I think). I've a good friend who's converting some out building into flats and he's about 20mm too narrow on some of the door frames so he'll contravene the disabled access dimensions.

TIA

Noel

So, do they exist? Scrit?

Parlament hinges would allow the door to swing right back so you would get the max width between doorstops if the frames are set back almost flush to the internal wall and there is width for the door to swing back

Or a 4" stormproof hinge may do the job

Jason

Hi Noel

Sorry, but I've never seen them (then again I don't do that much joinery work). I would have thought that it you had a cranked butt hinge (of that's not a contradiction) you'd have a devil of a job installing them as they'd need to be cut into the frame in two planes. The only alternatives I can think of are either a strap hinge fixed to the door frame (like a barn door) which will do the job but might look a bit odd, but at least they'd shift the centreline of the hinge, or possibly the large size Soss hinges, which still might not do what he needs. And they (the Sosses) are not really an easy retro-fit option because you need to deep mortise the door frame accurately with a router.

Scrit

Thanks Jason and Scrit. Think the Storm hinge will be suitable although will also have a look at strap hinges.

Rgds

Noel

Back