Cracks on bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vomog

Reaction score
Do you experienced wood turners ever persevere with cracks from badly dried timber? This piece of Walnut would have been too small to work with if I had cut out all the cracks. Just wondering if there is a trick( other than binning) that I can use to salvage this piece?

Attachments

• Walnut.jpg
    Walnut.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,280
Run some thin supper glue into the cracks then rub some sawdust over them and sand then repeat if it is needed it the cracks will still show but the bowl will be stable

A piece with that many cracks should go in the bin, when you start to hollow it I can see it blowing up with bits flying everywhere.

For other pieces it depends on the piece as to if it is worth saving, is it a special bit of wood, spectacular figure, a really nice design etc. If you decide it is worth saving there are several things you can do, if they are hairline cracks thin superglue in them should fill them. If they are a bit too big for that rubbing sawdust into them then applying superglue and leaving to dry. If they are too big for that then epoxy resin or some type of thinner.

john

I personally wouldn’t risk turning a piece with that many cracks- it could be very dangerous and break into pieces whilst your turning it

Thanks for your replies. It is in fact hollow, with about 1/4 in walls. Didn't want to go any further for the reasons you state.

John

i'm of the opinion that any piece of timber is worth having a go at salvaging as woody says sawdust and superglue i have yet to have a bowl or vessel fly off in bits on me but you never know it could happen some day :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o
Bill

Any piece of wood can be dangerous when spinning on a lathe especially if you turn the speed up to much I have seen wood that looks perfect explode on the lathe the wise thing when turning bowls is not to stand in the line of fire I always stableize wood with cracks in right from the word go and continue to do so as it progresses if need be

If you must proceed - then some tape around the outer while you hollow just in case might hold it together.

Common sense is the key I reckon. If we tried to eliminate all the risks then non of us would be turning at all.
Use the correct PPE, apply common sense, don't stand "in the line of fire" etc and you won't go too far wrong. If you don't feel comfortable with something, don't do it!
As woody says above, even a seemingly solid piece of timber can have a hidden flaw and "explode" when on a spinning lathe.

Back