Cracks. Builders help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY Stew

Established Member
Reaction score
I got the opportunity to look around the flat above a flat that I own, I expressed concern over cracks that are around the window in the kitchen to the builder that was also there, he said they were non structural so nothing to worry about! As you can see from the photos the ceiling has been clad so I am uncertain if there are any further cracks. I have seen this builders work, he wears a Stetson, has spurs on his boots and rides a horse, I'm sure you get the picture, he even told SWMBO that he was also a qualified solicitor!!!

Am I correct to have serious concerns regarding these cracks?

In the second picture it's hard to see but the crack goes off to the left running parallel with the ceiling.

Stew

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 1,090
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 1,090
Looking at a photo will not really help here
It could be structural but I would doubt it
If the brickwork above the window was sagging then it would mean there was no lintel fitted and the the window was taking the wieght of all brickwork/roof above
It could just simply be some movement/settlement over time and vibrations from the road if it has a lot of heavy or HGV traffic
The lintel/brickwork above the window looks to be intact..so my money would be on old plaster and a bit of settlement/vibrations which is perfectly normal

As it is not your flat unfortunatly I do not think there is much you can do

It looks like there is a hairline crack in the plaster where the lintel over the window meets the masonry.

I would say that this is normal when the lintel is steel like a cxatnic or RSJ and comes from different thermal expansion of different materials.

Can you see anything to match, from the outside? I'd have a good look, with binoculars if necessary.
Good quality photos help with surveys as you can sometimes spot something on an enlarged photo which you didn't see when you were standing there

Thanks for your help guys, as I said the flat is above the flat I own so it's really of little concern to me, however I am having some serious problems with the owner/letting agent which is probably going to end up in court! but as they say, "that's another story"

Stew

used to be call rotation cracks general movement it is a point of the least resistants as a house moves this is where it shows i would not be to worried ,big bag of poly filla, the way to hide them is take plaster of fix mesh to the brickwork where the crack is then replaster over should hold it back for a number of years .
pip

Latest posts

Back