cracking piece of Oak Gromit!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is Oak a b-b-b ... bally hard wood to use green without splitting???
I tried some for the first time over the past two days and and it just cracks before me eyes!! giz a clue!! :x

Rough turn it leaving the wall thickness about 15% of the diameter, then set it aside to dry for a few month. You can then rechuck it and finish turn.

Jason

Ok, give us a few clues Mrs.S. are you trying to turn the whole log, even a small branch piece, as endgrain hollowing including the core/pith or between centres retaining the core or are you splitting the log and turning like a conventional bowl?

Any pictures of a failure with the oak might engender some ideas on how to proceed.

No photo's available I'm afraid. it was a small log of around 9inch across. turned end grain. not been able to rough turn because it has just been splitting before before I could get it roughed! maybe it is rogue piece?
I found it on a wood pile so not sure how long it has been there.

Sounds like you are just releasing the built up tensions in the log, these can be in the tens or even hundreds of lbs per sq. in. so causing it to pull itself apart when you upset the balance.

This is always a dilemma with a log, the temptation is to try and use it whole so that you can get the biggest item out of it, but this invariably fails for one or more of several reasons.

Next piece, try splitting it in half through the core and turn something smaller out of each half, even then you may have to loose a portion of the wood near the core due to its tendency to split from the core point at the bowl rim.

If you can't turn it very thin whilst green, and suffer the distortion that will occur, then you will need to slow the drying down of the rough turned piece as much as possible.

Mrs S,

I have heard that oak does have a much greater tendency to split than many other timbers, and whilst I haven't turned any this is also in agreement with my observations on logs that I've collected to turn, but by the time I've got to them have been a bit too split.

Apparently it's to do with the cells that give rise to the rays in quarter sawn oak. I have a feeling that this is the same reason why thick boards of oak can be quite expensive, because there can be quite a lot of wastage (due to splitting) during the drying process.

Cheers,

Dod

Back