Cowells Norwich Sharpening system?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkruz

Reaction score
I have a sharpening water wheel with a motor....model 25-400. Looks like its a UK product but powered for US (115v 60hz). It was given to me by an elderly woodworker.

It has an adjustable rod/plate for tool rest.
Are there accessories for it I should have and instructions? how can I find
such things?

Id like to dress the stone and use it for sharpening chisels and planes.

I have Googled with no luck at all.

thank you in advance

Cowells made an excellent miniature metalworking lathe in the 70's I don't think they are in business now though. I would suspect your stone is for sharpening lathe tools and as such will have had no accessories available.

I sharpened a chisel on it last night. I think its such a fine grit stone it takes forever to take metal off. Maybe its because it needs to be dressed and its clogged up but I doubt it. Without a rougher wheel stone paired with this one I dont think it will be much use for me. I have been using the "Scary Sharp" method with increased grits of sandpaper on a glass surface to get a flat hone. When I need too remove a lot of metal to repair nicks and gouges I used a 60 grit on a belt sander. That works out and fairly rapidly so Ill probably just chuck the water wheel.

Welcome to the forum...

The water wheel will give you a hollow ground bevel, which is advantageous in most cases.

If the stone is clogged, dress it back and make sure it is fully soaked before you use it. Also move the tool across the surface as you grind to get an even wear rate. (I expect you knew that of course.) Don't give up on water wheels. The are a sure way of NOT taking the temper from your tools.

Regards
John :)

BB,
Thanks - that's interesting, I looked for them a few years ago and came up with nothing, I wonder if the firm has been around all along or died and was resurrected? I see their place of business is in Essex now, not Norwich.

waterhead37":3t0gx885 said:
BB,
Thanks - that's interesting, I looked for them a few years ago and came up with nothing, I wonder if the firm has been around all along or died and was resurrected? I see their place of business is in Essex now, not Norwich.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/cowells/index.html

Nothing about Norwich, curiously.

Not so curious. From their website...

"Established in 1975"

So - not the same Cowells.

BugBear

I dressed the stone using a masonry drill bit tip to remove the glazed surface. Then flattened with another flat rectangular sharpening stone.

Its a very fine grit wheel and I used it to sharpen some kitchen knifes well enough. But its too fine to be practical for chisels and planes and difficult to hold the angle precisely.

Back