Countersunk inserts, what are they called ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mseries

Established Member
Reaction score
In that really long thead by Steve Maskery, the one where he built the workshop and everything in it, in the part where he made that thing for his domino machine Steve used some brass inserts to prevent the MDF/wood from being worn by the countersunk heads of the bolts. What are those things called and where can i get some.

(The thread is far too long for me to page through to find them now)

I've seen two different types of these. There are the cheaper more common pressed steel ones that sit on the surface and there are others that seem to be solid brass that are designed to sit in a pocket flush with the surface. The later type are normally knurled on the outside edge to stop them rotating once pressed into the wood.

woodpig":2refeywy said:
I've seen two different types of these. There are the cheaper more common pressed steel ones that sit on the surface and there are others that seem to be solid brass that are designed to sit in a pocket flush with the surface. The later type are normally knurled on the outside edge to stop them rotating once pressed into the wood.
Yes it's the flush ones I am after. I always knew the surface ones as cup washers

I have been using these in the staff beads on sash windows, so that the staff beads can be easily removed.

Having established the right diameter and depth of hole to drill, I press-fit them in a vice (rather than try to bash them in with a hammer).

With flat head countersunk stainless steel screws, they make a neat job.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back