Could anyone help please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightweeder

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to make a 'Diz'. Bodrighy will know what I mean.

It has to be in the form of a large button, about 3" across, recessed like a button and with four different sized holes in it. I've been turning a cylinder then drilling the holes with a drill press and rechucking to make the recess. Not surprising that it's catching, but I've seen someone on here do it. It might have been JT, but I can't find the post. Whoever it was made some 'button' coasters a bit back. Can anyone suggest anything please?

Have you tried just drilling pilot holes and opening them out when turnings finished?

A little chamfer on the outer edges of the holes should not mattter as it would act as a lead-in for the wool strands.

CHJ":1gxt8utf said:
Have you tried just drilling pilot holes and opening them out when turnings finished?

As above with wooden dowels onto disc mounted onto faceplate / chuck - sorts work holding as well and allows you to counterbore centre etc.

Simon

Easiest way is to have all four holes on a circle so if you turn the cylinder and make your recess. Mark a line on the surface with a pencil and then part off. Use a drill press with a piece of wood under the diz to minimize breakout and drill the four holes on the circle. The bottom can be cleaned off using a sanding disc, just remember to part of slightly larger than the eventual thickness. I can't say I have made one with more than one hole in the middle though. Usually they are made individually with different sized holes in each one.

Pete

I've been drilling these holes off the lathe, and it works well enough, but has anyone seen the article in the new 'Winter' edition of Woodturning, pages 64-67. He's doing a similar thing with a whole stack of them and simply recommends using a fingernail gouge. Don't understand how he's not having problems.

If you have a very steady hand it can be done. Fine if you want the hole in the centre but for real accuracy I'd advise using a drill bit, on or off the lathe. Haven't seen the article so can't comment on his recommendations beyond personal experience.

Pete

Wood choice? and high speed to reduce any tool bounce across the holes maybe. I think I would find a deep fluted bowl gouge better at shearing cut across the hole than a spindle gouge with the way I hold them.

Notice he still has feathering on hole edges after drilling/turning and relies on sanding to remove these. Starts at 120 grit so no magic in the finish at this stage

Do you have close up picture of the problem you are seeing ?

I note in the large image at the front of the article that the hole finish is not that good and there is sign of ragged painted edges.

CHJ":20d4wfvg said:
Do you have close up picture of the problem you are seeing ?

I note in the large image at the front of the article that the hole finish is not that good and there is sign of ragged painted edges.

I've binned 'em all Chas. I've had fewer problems off the lathe than I thought I would have, so will probably just continue with that, but I couldn't believe this article. As you say, he's got a few imperfections in his piece, but it at least appears to have stayed the course without being yanked off the lathe :?

Pete - I often seem to have a light grip on the tool and wonder if that plays a part.

Have you tried a sharp scraper in the area of the holes, that way the tool will be relying on the rest for support not the bevel on the piece.

Are you saying you are getting tool catch in the holes bad enough to wreck the piece?

CHJ":rittrz9p said:
Have you tried a sharp scraper in the area of the holes, that way the tool will be relying on the rest for support not the bevel on the piece.

Are you saying you are getting tool catch in the holes bad enough to wreck the piece?

Yes Chas, I tried a one inch scraper. The catches have been pretty bad (and scary, of course). I tried it with walnut at first, and thought maybe the wood was brittle, but nice soft spalted beech is just the same. I also tried a large round-nosed scraper, thinking at least it would remove the risk on the corners, but that was worse than ever.

Back