Cost of fitting out a 'shell' ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an working figure for how much it costs to fit out a 'shell' (per square metre) ... two-story detached house, just walls (external & internal), floors and roof currently built; to a good standard, but not 'luxury' ?

And how much to construct, from scratch, a detached double garage in brick / tiled pitched roof ?

I'm afraid your question is a bit too broad, how finished is the house currently?

Thanks for your request for clarification.

Hope the following provides a little more useful detail ... if not, feel free to ask questions.

The structure is water-tight, with doors and windows. Beyond that, internally, just bare walls (no plasterboard/plaster). No services internally. Upstairs, 4 rooms, but bathrooms need dividing off from these rooms.

Are you going to do all the work yourself or hire in plasterers, sparky, plumber, tiler etc?

The Jewson calculator, unless I've misinterpreted, is for the total building cost. Certainly interesting, but I want to split out the bit after the 'shell' is in place.

Not planning on doing any significant amount of the actual work ourselves ...

There are so many variables in you're question, Ring a local architect, tell him you are thinking of buying a site,etc
and ask for a rough figure for a metre
He should be able to take the local costs into consideration.
At a very rough guess, I'd say around £1,000. a square metre total cost and assume the property is 50% complete
A 3 bed house is roughly 45m square footprint. So that's £22, to £25,000 to finish.
I always say to people contemplating this, leave the bathroom and kitchen 'till last,
Otherwise you can very easily run out of money or get in a scrape and spoil the experience.
HTH Regards Rodders

There's a really useful book that will answer your question The House builder's Bible by Mark Brinkley. It takes each element of a house chapter by chapter and sets out the options, all with costs.
Much more info on his blog here
http://markbrinkley.blogspot.co.uk/

Our new house in the garden is due to start in about 3 weeks so I have some experience of pricing such a project.
It is 3 bed detached 115 sq m we have tender from builder in 2 stages 1st to watertight shell and second to finish.
I is not a simple design but is not over the top in specs and we are advised that from shell to finish will be around £75000 dependent on quality of fittings especially bathrooms and kitchen.
Other costs to bear in mind are cost of services section 106 payment to council and all professional fees etc adding about another £30000 to the cost.
A single house built on a single plot will never come in at £1000 per sq m and a house of 45 sq m is tiny

powertools":lq53sb0r said:
Our new house in the garden is due to start in about 3 weeks so I have some experience of pricing such a project.
It is 3 bed detached 115 sq m we have tender from builder in 2 stages 1st to watertight shell and second to finish.
I is not a simple design but is not over the top in specs and we are advised that from shell to finish will be around £75000 dependent on quality of fittings especially bathrooms and kitchen.
Other costs to bear in mind are cost of services section 106 payment to council and all professional fees etc adding about another £30000 to the cost.
A single house built on a single plot will never come in at £1000 per sq m and a house of 45 sq m is tiny

As I said, there are so many variables.Particularly area to area.
In answer, Please read my post again, I said FOOTPRINT of 45 square metre's for a 3 bed house,
Size depends on what density the houses are built, average here is between 12, to 15 per acre on the larger estates.
Also the OP'S question was for the COST of building a house, not what can you're local builders can get away with.
At that price, £75,000, I suppose he is supplying all the materials and labour for you're build.
Well down here in sunny devon, just up the road from me, my neighbour has built his place, similar size as you'rs, for just £46,000, him doing most of the site labouring.
I helped manage it, he had all the materials at trade price, employed and paid the labour direct, in each case, mason,
plasterer carpenter roofer etc and as its a new build got all the vat at 20% back.
I enjoy the managing side and have project managed 7, or 8 now, new and re furbs.
Is this you're first build? Perhaps you should fill in the jewson costing form and see how much you could save!
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":2bexb1k8 said:
powertools":2bexb1k8 said:

As I said, there are so many variables.Particularly area to area.
In answer, Please read my post again, I said FOOTPRINT of 45 square metre's for a 3 bed house,
Size depends on what density the houses are built, average here is between 12, to 15 per acre on the larger estates.
Also the OP'S question was for the COST of building a house, not what can you're local builders can get away with.
At that price, £75,000, I suppose he is supplying all the materials and labour for you're build.
Well down here in sunny devon, just up the road from me, my neighbour has built his place, similar size as you'rs, for just £46,000, him doing most of the site labouring.
I helped manage it, he had all the materials at trade price, employed and paid the labour direct, in each case, mason,
plasterer carpenter roofer etc and as its a new build got all the vat at 20% back.
I enjoy the managing side and have project managed 7, or 8 now, new and re furbs.
Is this you're first build? Perhaps you should fill in the jewson costing form and see how much you could save!
Regards Rodders

Sorry I misread your post I can now see that you are saying that a 3 bed house is on average 90 sq m floor space.
To ensure that I have not misread anything else can you confirm that you have helped project manage a house build from bare site to totally finished house of around this size for a total cost of £46000 or just over £500 per sq m

There's four different builders merchants, here in sunny Devon and my neighbour got quotes from them.
He bought a tipper truck and got better discounts as he was now collecting.
He took fridays off from work and worked most evenings and Friday, Saturday and Sundays, collecting materials, loading out blocks, etc, and with the digger driver, he's laid the drains, paths fences, garden, drive way etc, a real grafter.
His vat is around £12,000, which he is claiming back, as a new build, and will have a NHBC Certificate.
Leaving his costing at £46,000
You have extra costs, I imagine you're project will need a sewer connection you have a section 106, The fee, being part of the build cost and you live in a high wage area, Here, in Sunny Devon, you can get a good bloke for £100, a day.
You're £75.000 and £30.00 costings for you're 115 square metre dwelling are not too short of the £1,000 a metre square
If you don't mind me saying, when you accept the builders tender, there should not be any use of "costing around" or "dependant of quality of fittings" or "extra's"., or "watertight", it will have a tiled/slated roof.
A firm, fixed agreement on who supplies what, at what price. Leave kitchen, en suite, bathroom, cloakroom 'till last, and separate.
Choose the skirting, architraves, doors and door furniture and colour scheme in plenty of time.
Handled right it is a pleasant experience, and you should make money too!
Regards Rodders

I'm in Herts and currently trying to sort out builders for a 260 sq m house, if I could find someone to do it for £1000 per sqm i'd snap their hand off.
I reckon for a decent build, part managed by me, will be £1250 per sqm min.

blackrodd":13nks7yd said:
There's four different builders merchants, here in sunny Devon and my neighbour got quotes from them.
He bought a tipper truck and got better discounts as he was now collecting.
He took fridays off from work and worked most evenings and Friday, Saturday and Sundays, collecting materials, loading out blocks, etc, and with the digger driver, he's laid the drains, paths fences, garden, drive way etc, a real grafter.
His vat is around £12,000, which he is claiming back, as a new build, and will have a NHBC Certificate.
Leaving his costing at £46,000
You have extra costs, I imagine you're project will need a sewer connection you have a section 106, The fee, being part of the build cost and you live in a high wage area, Here, in Sunny Devon, you can get a good bloke for £100, a day.
You're £75.000 and £30.00 costings for you're 115 square metre dwelling are not too short of the £1,000 a metre square
If you don't mind me saying, when you accept the builders tender, there should not be any use of "costing around" or "dependant of quality of fittings" or "extra's"., or "watertight", it will have a tiled/slated roof.
A firm, fixed agreement on who supplies what, at what price. Leave kitchen, en suite, bathroom, cloakroom 'till last, and separate.
Choose the skirting, architraves, doors and door furniture and colour scheme in plenty of time.
Handled right it is a pleasant experience, and you should make money too!
Regards Rodders

Thanks for clarification of the cost I find that to be incredible and would love to see a picture of said house built from start to ready to move into for a total cost of just over £500 per sq m.
I think you have misread my post the £70000 I quoted was not the total build cost but was the figure that we have allowed to take the build from a basic watertight shell to a completed home ready to move into including all plumbing and electrics, plastering and decorating, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, right down to floor coverings, curtains and blinds, patio and landscaping, driveway and fences etc this was the question that the op asked.

Back