Corrugated soles- stanley planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
Probably been done to death but I cant find a specific explanation via a search, but what was the point of a corrugated sole on planes and how old is a stanley with one and would it be a good buy ?.

Momo
The idea was the corugations make for a lower surface area on the workpiece, hence less friction.
In the real world it doesn't really work - nice marketing idea, though :lol:
Philly :D

Thanks Philly, I thought it may of had something to do with the war and a scarcity of metal !, oh well Homer momment over.

They were especially useful when working on resinous woods (I am told) so were much more popular in the USA where pine was more commonly used in construction and joinery.

My source on this also had something to say about spending the whole day using a 5½ in adverse conditions!

To reply to the other part of the question, Blood and Gore states that the C models came in in 1898 and ceased production about 1970.

It has been reported that the corrugations eliminate the suction that can cause small workpieces to appear to be stuck to the sole.

Back