Correct height for pictures wall?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Losos

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm putting up a few pictures and paintings (nothing in the Van Gogh category I should say)

SWMBO and I have been having, well let's call it a heated discussion :) about what height they should be.

I think they look best about two thirds of ceiling height, she thinks they should be much lower.

What's a good 'rule of thumb' for such tasks please??.

One of my sons is a graphic artist + design consultant. He often critisises how I've hung pictures in the past, He says they should be slightly lower than head high, my argument is "I'm taller than you" so there you have it. No higher than head height, whatever that may be :wink:

I agree with both of you 8)

About two-thirds of ceiling height,but not more than head height (for those with twelve foot high ceilings :wink: )

Andrew

Mirrors and pictures

call me a coward but I always hold them up to the wall and ask her opinion
when my dear wife asks what I think I just reply " Cant see it from here dear and hurry up its getting heavy"

It just keeps the peace :lol: :lol:

but the two-thirds rule sounds right but it depends how high your ceiling is

Andy

Thanks to all above - I'm just going to print it off and go show it to SWBO.
If you never hear from me again you'll know what her response was :) :)

Losos":201wew6l said:

Don't you just love this forum :lol: :lol: :lol: This thread has even had my swmbo chuckeling :lol: :lol: :lol:

just a little cat amongst the pigeons :twisted: :lol:

a lot also depends upon the size of the pictures.

are they all pretty much the same size pictures, or are they
different? i am not sure whether i prefer the bottom of the pictures
to be the same height, or the tops.

the other thing is with bigger pictures, you need to be further away to
see them, so the heights need to be difficult.

sounds like i am suggesting an impressionist answer. :?

paul :wink:

Around about head height, not critical for me...what is tho' is to hang them level :lol: . I also quite like having a 'wall' of pictures from hanging high up on the wall to about chest height or so, but in the end I suppose it depends on your own personal preferences - Rob

Losos what part of SWMBO dont you under stand ??? your wife will tell you the answer.

frank

Losos":1qjrsu67 said:

Losos - I hope you printed it on nice SOFT paper mate!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Taffy

Well I'm still here :) :?

Turns out that I got the one in the dining room right but the two in the hall will need to come down a tad. I think I can do that by lengthing the cord to save drilling more holes :oops: :)

Back