Corner display unit - what glass?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
The title says it all really. I've made a wall hanging oak corner display unit that needs two panes of glass 60cm x 16cm for the door. Stupidly it's only just occurred to me that I've no idea really what type and thickness of glass is best. I was going to get ordinary 4mm - do you reckon that's okay? Thanks.

Bevel edged glass always appeals to me for interior glass applications
Talk to your glazier about thickness and design round what he stocks
Bob

If you can wait a few days, your glass supplier will be able to sell you toughened glass, which does not cost a great deal more, and would be a lot safer.

Roger

I would use toughened glass, either 4mm or 6mm beveled.

Ask your glass supplier to have a furniture mark put on it otherwise you will have a ugly etched stamp in the door.

The furniture mark is put on the edge so will be hidden by the rebate.

Tom

Thanks all for the suggestions. I did try a bit of bevelled (just held in) but, although I'll probably use some on a future project, it just didn't look right on this cabinet. So I settled for 4mm toughened.

AndyT":14zgfmze said:
If you can wait a few days, your glass supplier will be able to sell you toughened glass, which does not cost a great deal more, and would be a lot safer.
Not much more Andy! All the toughened glass for the french doors I have just made cost me £177! that is what I call expensive.

Back