cordless drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speed

Established Member
Reaction score
eyop everyone

i have 300 quid to spend on a drill/driver as my dewalt 18v combi is not as young and healthy as it was 7years ago.
it will be used daily on site so will see some action,

ive seen a festool tkd 15.6 v drilll with 2 3ah batts for 296 quid
also the new dewalt li-ion 18v with 2no 2ah batts for 266
hitachi 18v li-ion with 2no 3ah batts 220 quid
makita 18v li-ion 2no 18v 3ah batts 200 quid

im not fussed on bosh drills ive had 2 brake and one of my mates,
any sugestions, ive only had a quick look maybe you could find a better one?
for some reason im swaying twards the hitatchi

Hi Speed
I've got the Makita and the impact driver and love them. The lithium batteries last forever it seems and are quick to recharge. However any of the big makes li-ion I expect would be good, although for me I will stick to Makita.
Hope this helps.

John

So many to choose from, but if heavy site usage is a priority I would also add Hilti to your list.

Cheers, Ed

Hi Speed , i have been using Makita stuff for years with no problems and on a daily basis , i picked up one of the makita 18v drills from b&poo early this year for £99 which included drill bits etc in the case and 2 batteries , go and get 3 of them with your money they should last a fair while with 6 batteries and 3 chargers you will never run out of charge :wink:

Only one to go for there i think :) :)

I have had my festool for 3 years now and that has lasted pretty good to say its has been used on site (all types of joinery, shuttering to kitchen fitting) and its been a real good drill.

Then again the new panasonic 14.4v stuff is looking pretty tempting :)

Gavin.

thanks for the replies

eggflan, the drill you mentiond ok but the batterys are only 1.3ah so wont last long theres not always electric on the job, and 6 batts will be heavy

im still swayed towards the hitachi, alltho the the panasonic range looks good......

johnjin":d0xodqa3 said:
Hi Speed
I've got the Makita and the impact driver and love them. The lithium batteries last forever it seems and are quick to recharge. However any of the big makes li-ion I expect would be good, although for me I will stick to Makita.
Hope this helps.

John

Me too I have the 18v li-ion drill and impact had it two years now used on site all week every week and still going well. The gear box had to be changed on the drill a while ago but Makita did it even though the waranty was out.

I like the look of the Festool but for the top li-ion kit just for one drill its nearly £475 ouch I payed £450 for two Makitas and they have done well so far.

Just a warning with the Panasonic I know someone who has the driver and the drill and he thought they were great until one day they packed up. The brushes kept sticking in and the motors wouldnt turn, he sent them back several times but the problem kept coming back. Finally the warranty ran out and he is stuck with two knackered drills.

well ive gone for the hitachi got it for 201 deliverd, i noticed loads of people had problems with makita gearbox's, if the festool had li-ion it would have been my first choice,
i dont know why i didnt go dewalt as i have loads of 18v cordless stuff, oh well

I think festool are doing a lion model now (or perhaps they are about to start selling one - not entirely sure). Their drills are very overpriced (although isn't that true of the entire range).... I can't really complain mind, as I own half of their catalogue :)

I have the makita lion 18v drill/driver and also their 18v driver (and 18v circular saw) and as others have mentioned, the batteries last 'forever' and are really fanstic bits of kit.

If festool had released a lion drill 12 months ago I might be singing a different song, but anyway, these days with lion I don't think you can go too wrong whatever you go for - everybody has their favourites and you'll find people for and against each make.

Sounds like you good a good deal, enjoy your new drill :)

Back