Copying Doctor Bob Updated

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathandavies

Established Member
Reaction score
After successfully using Bob's method to make two lots of shaker style doors, I thought I would have a go at cutting open my thumb like his. Liking originality I didn't want to do an exact copy. Setting up the air extraction on the radial arm saw just seconds after it had been turned off with your thumb just a little too close to a nice fresh blade results in severe nail trimming. Unfortunately I can't post a picture as I have to leave the dressing on until I've seen the plastic surgeon tomorrow. Not quite as impressive as Bob's but I may have another go at it before long.

Don't try this at home.

Nathan

Barring the thumb slicing action of a very sharp chisel (hours worth of an operation suturing a nerve back together), I've been lucky enough not to have any nasty accidents. Worst was probably slipping when using an eraser-type thing for de-clogging the loading on my drum/thickness sander. Rapidly spinning 80grit goes through a nail very quickly.

Adam

Hi Nathan,
The body is amazing, my thumb is fine, although very numb, healing very well.
Just carried on working as normal.

Heres mine tonight after 13 days
mu5n.jpg

Bit different from this

5pdh9.jpg

Hope yours heals as well as mine

Even before I started woodworking I knew a few folk who'd lost bits of fingers to powertools.

Was having a conversation with my uncle-in-law the other day, who knows a chap who decided to stop the blade of his circular saw with his fingers while it was slowing down one day. I think we all know where this is going? He's now down the tips of 3 fingers. Another family friend is also missing the tip of a finger and he's also a carpenter.

Glad you guys haven't lost too much of your fingers. Hope you recover ok.

lease ignore the tying, I can't tye the letter between o and q due to an unusual reaction between beer and my keyboard. I will use a ..?..instead......

I recently ?osted about my new table saw, a TS250 from Axminster. I think it's a great saw but... on the first day when I was setting it u? I didn't realise that the "new shorter safer fence" meant that I could no longer use it as I had used my old one. I was cutting out a dee? groove (dado) by making multi?le ?asses, taking out the thickness on the kerf each time. First time through, reached the end of the stu?id short fence and got a HUGE kick back, the wood hit me on my right tit as I turned to avoid it and my left hand somehow moved a little too close to the blade.

2 days in hos?ital, 2 1/2 hours in surgery and a lot of follow u? visits afterwards and...............I can ride my motorbike again! Although I can't manage the indicators with my thumb yet as there is still no movement at the middle knuckle. Just a warning to everyone out there.......

?hotos available if anyone is interested

?aul
?aul

Update

Saw the surgeon yesterday who did a lovely job of tidying up,few stitches and some silver foil where my nail used to be.

IMG_0268-002.JPG

Two weeks to heal and months for a new nail. But it could have been a lot worse.

Been looking into electric brakes since accident

Nathan

Attachments

• IMG_0268-002.JPG
    IMG_0268-002.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 136
Hope you heal up soon.
It's just over a year since my little faux pas with the surface planer and all has healed well. Not a great deal of feeling at the tip but hey ho ! could have been worse.

Like the sarge used to say on Hill St Blues
"Let's be careful out there"

I took a small chunk out of the end of my thumb on the tablesaw a few years back so I always wear good quality Kevlar gloves when using power tools now regardless of the weather.

A couple of days ago my hand slipped off the back edge of a piece of wood going over the jointer and my finger hit the blades - no blood, just a little bit of bruising...

I took the top of two fingers off about 5 years ago. I was cleaning up a saw cut on the planer. So stupid, the piece was too small to be pushed over the top. But it was 5 o'clock on a Sunday and I was rushing. Big mistake. It wasn't much fun trying to lock the workshop up with a towel on your hand.

We should start a club, I've even got a name for it

WHACOFF
A Club For Men In Sheds

I'll leave it to you to work out the name :lol:

I remember well my first play with an electric plane and how you really don't want to put your fingers under it to guide it to the edge of the job when its running! Lost some fingerprints for a few weeks

Back