cope & stick cabinet door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Making a display case without those router bits that make the cope and stick joint on cabinet doors.

Anyone got any ideas how to do it by hand, dont want to spend £100plus on a set of bits to only be used once, anyone local in Devon can help?

I can think of a few ways of making display case doors but not with C&S jointing.
I would use Mitred Lap Joints for the door frame and route out a rebate for the glass and wooden beading.
I have a dwgs for the jigs for these.

You could then prettify the inside edge of the frame with an Ogee bit.

This could all be done with non-special bits.

Is this any help?

Thanks Titus.

Since posting above I remembered I had still got my old C.Hayward book of joints.

There is a mortise and tenon joint in there with a beading and the beading corners are mitred.

My problem these days is the memory is starting to slow down and not being actively involved daily these things go astray.

But would still like any other ideas please.

I did a thread on some doors, rebated for glass, done by hand here which might help - not fine cabinetry, but following the same procedures as in the Hayward book. You just need to do the same, but smaller and neater!

If you have a table saw you can make shaker style doors by runing a groove down the centre of each of the pieces and then cut tennons to match the grooves. You can then remove the rear sections where the glass will fit and replace them with some mouldings to hold the glass in. should be able to knock those up in about thirty minutes. HTH. :wink:

Back