Converting ash trees to boards - worth it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Saville

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

My new garden has 8 very large ash trees. The garden has been left to go wild and these trees not only block out all the light but are way over size for the garden. So they've got to go.

Now it would seem an opportune moment to get hold of lots of Ash stock. So my question to folks on the board is this: Is it worth the time/effort/money of converting these tree to boards? If so what's the best way to go about doing this? Or should I just stock up for my wood burning stove?

Thanks,

JimJam":ujcctos4 said:
Or should I just stock up for my wood burning stove?

[-o< NOOOooooooooooo

Seriously though I suppose it depends whether you've got space to store it while it dries.

I thought the same - mobile sawmill,plank it,stack and sticker it,then leave it.Needs lots of space,and takes a long time.

Or cut up into car-boot size pieces,and offer to local woodturners :lol:

Andrew

I would imagine that if you did actually go to the effort (and expense?) of having it sawn then by the time it was actually ready you would probably be very pleased that you had. Never been in the position myself apart from turning a few bowls from trees that I've known.

Cheers,

Dod :D

I agree with what's been said. If you can afford the cost and find somewhere to store it properly for a few years, it'll be well worth it in the long run.

OPJ":38on0ln7 said:
I agree with what's been said. If you can afford the cost and find somewhere to store it properly for a few years, it'll be well worth it in the long run.

Ash...beautiful pale colour and underrated IMO. If you do decide to go ahead then I recommend you cut off any bark plus a bit as the ash I bought at auction turned out to have lots of large grubs in these layers. Perceived wisdom seemed to suggest keeping the bark on to slow down the drying out process. The grubs dictated otherwise in my case. (Note to self....restack the pile and check for other 'guests')

So if the sawyer did 1" boards does that mean 1 year?

2" boards 2 years

4" boards 4 years

Have a selection of sizes cut and you could last out sometime after the first year?

i think ash is dull, amazing how opinions differ, thats what makes the forum interesting

I think ash is great.

FWW did a book called "Wood and How to Dry It", it had a few kiln ideas. With a kiln (like what I have) you could dry it in 3 months, and have more, better wood than air drying. If you bothered with a vacuum dryer, it's a few weeks, or faster.

But then what do I know?

Roger Sinden":263o7r3y said:
If you do decide to go ahead then I recommend you cut off any bark plus a bit as the ash I bought at auction turned out to have lots of large grubs in these layers.
You also get ambrosia (?) beetles in there, but either way they don't seem to attack the timber.

I'd saw the ash and sticker it. If nothing else it makes good material for general joinery, repairing/rebuilding coachwork (e.g. Morris Minor Travellers, Morgans and many, many ambulances, etc) and for tool handles. It doesn't all have to go for furniture making

Scrit

Agree that ash <can> be dull, but as Scrit says, it's very useful. Also, if you are lucky, you can get very interesting dark colouration in the heartwood - I think it's then called olive ash.
And if it's really disappointing, it's the best firewood of all :)

dickm":1l7izggo said:
Agree that ash <can> be dull,

I really like Ash. I think it got a bad name in the late eighties/early nineties with all that black plasticy veneer.

WiZeR":26mj6lj0 said:
dickm":26mj6lj0 said:
Agree that ash <can> be dull,

I really like Ash. I think it got a bad name in the late eighties/early nineties with all that black plasticy veneer.

I just think its very plain, and once it yellows its awful, my opinion. If I have to make an ash kitchen I put a white tint over it to at least try and keep it fresh.

Jim

It's not really worth the effort of storing the boards. Have the trees felled and cut into boards of varying thickness. I'll come down and take them off your hands if you pay my petrol money. :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

senior":1upejv1y said:
i think ash is dull, amazing how opinions differ, thats what makes the forum interesting

So you won't want to come to the opening of the restaurant refurb I'm doing.
Ash, Olive Ash,E.Oak.
:)

Dom

I really appreciate all the replies so far.

The general consensus seems to be if I have room to store it then go for it.

So a couple of questions at this stage:

Firstly, How much will it cost to fell/saw - that's something I can get some quotes for and deal with myself.

Secondly, and one for the forum, How would I store it? Does it need to be inside? Or would undercover outside suffice?

Cheers,

Roy Clarke":38ykjec2 said:
With a kiln (like what I have) you could dry it in 3 months,
Roy,

Give us a clue, are you in the UK? A county in your profile would be useful.

Tell us about your kiln, is it powered? How big is it? Any chance of a few pictures?

Latest posts

Back