Constructing a wood lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aritoni

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a go at building there own wood lathe? I have searched some posts,but not much info has come up.Its for a mate of mine,doesnt have to be that flash.As a bonus,he has his own metal lathe.Any info would be greatful.
Regards

I machined up a backplate so I could mount a woodworking chuck onto my engineering lathe, that and a simple toolrest that fixed to the cross slide worked fine until I bought a dedicated woodturning lathe.

Jason

I've been looking through the archives as I think I remember seeing a member's home made lathe posted some time ago, but haven't found it yet :(

However, I did find a link to this article which may provide some further inspiration.

Cheers,

Neil

This is the thread here but the pictures seem to have dissapeared. I am sure that if you PM Pekka he will repost some info.

John

It all depends on what you want to turn. That one is perfect for chisel handles and small stuff, but I wouldn't try to turn anything much heavier than a small carving mallet.

Making one of those is really simple - untill of course you start fine tuning it and ending up carving all sorts of details on it :)

I just noted I had forgotten to explain that "knot bore" after my summer holiday. I should post a few pictures anyway. What a perfect reason to brag about my newest chisel handles 8)

If you need some info on the lathe, detail pictures or anything, just ask.

Pekka

P.S: I would be pretty careful not to use a metalworking lathe for any bigger woodturning sessions. It'll never be the same when that wood dust gets into all greased slides, screws etc. I did the same mistake when I used a milling machine to make myseld some wooden blocks and tackles for a boat. Counting the half a day of cleaning that machine out I would have been better off making the blocks by hand anyway.

P.P.S: The pictures seemed to be OK for me. Does someone else have a problem with them?

Pekka Huhta":22oamba8 said:
P.P.S: The pictures seemed to be OK for me. Does someone else have a problem with them?
They are there tonight but yesterday they did not show, may be the server had its knickers in a twist. :roll:

Aritoni - click on the word "here" in Jason's original post - it is a link to another page.

Andrew

Back