Concealing pipework

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
New central heating going in soon. 1995 build bungalow with concrete floors so all pipework dropping from above. I have a pet hate for exposed pipes so I'm looking to conceal as much as possible.

Internal walls are dot and dab plasterboard over thermalite block so cutting out a decent chase shouldn't be an issue, - if a tad messy!

Wondering what to cover/fill in with? Plastering won't work due to depth and and I suspect heat causing cracks. Considering using thin ply as a cover and then painting and whilst this will leave a lip will probably be the best alternative I can think of.

Anyone know of a better way of doing it?

I wouldve thought cut a wider strip of plasterboard out, dot and dab new section, tape joints then get the wall skimmed.

If you dont like seeing pipes I dont think you will ever be happy with a strip of ply....

You could use expanding form. Use it to fill the gaps between the back of the plasterboard and wall down the side of the cut out and cover the pipes with it. When it has expanded and dried, cut it back to approx 15mm below surface of plasterboard, then fill it with bonding, to just below surface, then skim it.

RobinBHM":o5c3u3og said:
I wouldve thought cut a wider strip of plasterboard out, dot and dab new section, tape joints then get the wall skimmed.

If you dont like seeing pipes I dont think you will ever be happy with a strip of ply....

This

RobinBHM":2yp0gdfs said:

Thanks Robin,

I was in one of my 'can't see the wood for the tree's' approaches and this of course makes perfect sense.

stuartpaul":3gcb4mji said:
RobinBHM":3gcb4mji said:

Thanks Robin,

I was in one of my 'can't see the wood for the tree's' approaches and this of course makes perfect sense.
Track saw (+multimaster for the ends) works really well for cutting through the plasterboard. Also EasyFill + sander is really good for hiding the joins - might save having the wall skimmed.

HTH P

Back