concealed fittings for wall mounted furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunkolini

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, help, I am making a set of metal and wooden shelves for a customer, they take the form of an poen lattice structure and am looking for a set of fittings that will not detract from the overall minimalist style. I wondered if there is something that can can be push fitted into a rawl plug type fixing, or a discrete cap thingy to cover the ends of the screws. There are no convenient surfaces on the unit to hide screws behind.

Thinking caps on, cheers guys, Chunko'.

Hi Chunko

I'm making the assumption that these are wall-hung, so if the shelves are thick enough then Hafele do these:

283-1.jpg

283.jpg

283.gif

although I'm sure JasonB will be along shortly to explain his "patent" method of installing flying shelves

Scrit

I have found those concealed shelf fittings to be difficult to use...

The last ones pictured above are the easiest... in that they only require a hole of 12mm diameter holes (or so) drilled into the EDGE of the shelf for 120mm or so... how is this done???

I didn't have the depth under the standing drill press 'cause the table doesn't go low enough because of damage to the 'threads', even then I didn't have a fence sturdy enough to clamp the work to....
I tried clamping the shelf to a workbence (horizontally) and drilling in freehand.... no way Hose, it wouldn't work for me...

Ok so the fittings have a bit of adjustment but not much... and only side to side adjustment..... (no adjustment if the hole is drilled in at the wrong angle)

Another type of concealed shelf fitting requires an ELONGATED drilled hole, again into the edge of a shelf!!! OMG :shock: ... how can this be done???

Sorry to be so pessimistic, I hope it works out for you! :D

Cheers
Joe

Joe90":8uh43zim said:
The last ones pictured above are the easiest... in that they only require a hole of 12mm diameter holes (or so) drilled into the EDGE of the shelf for 120mm or so... how is this done???
You need to rout out a recess as well....... I've done this by starting the hole off with a router, drilling down to 100mm or so on the drill press (because that's the length of travel of my drill press) then finishing with an auger and brace.

The other way might be to laminate up the shelf with a hole built-in:

ShelfStructure2.jpg

ShelfStructure1.jpg

JasonB's the whiz at that sort of thing.

Joe90":8uh43zim said:
Another type of concealed shelf fitting requires an ELONGATED drilled hole, again into the edge of a shelf!!! OMG :shock: ... how can this be done???
Slot mortiser? Square chsiel mortiser? Composite as above? There's more than one way to skin a cat :wink:

Scrit

Sorry guys I was not clear enough in my original brief. I am looking to get the effect of a spidery metal frame on the wall with no visible fixings.

I am using thin birch ply for the shelves, so I cant drill into that, also there will be a gap twixt that and the wall.

All that will be up against the wall will be 6mm square steel bar for vertical rails to carry cross pieces for the shelves to rest on, like a ladder at each end. I can forge a small flat on the ends for fixings to got through, I would prefer not to do this but I cant see any other way. I had considered welding/brazing an attachment on the back similar that shown by Scrit, but the chances of getting that spot on is a bit iffy. Is there an jobbie to put over the ends of the screws, or a push in thingie to go into rawl plugs. I'm off to check hafele who ever they are back shortly...............

chunko'

Hafele as here. You might also want to take a look at Isaac Lord

From the sound of it, though, you're going to have to go the ear and screw route

Scrit

Latest posts

Back