Concealed Drawer Runners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom owens

Established Member
Reaction score
I,m in the middle of project which is going to have a drawer in the lower half of the unit. Usually i,d just use timber laths as the runner and a groove for the runner to sit in.

As this drawer is going to have some weight in it i was going to use some sort of a runner that cant be seen when open. Maybe fixed from underneath. I expect the weight of the drawer with contents to be around 30kg as its going to be holding cd,s, dvd,s and that sort of thing.
Plus its quite a chunky design.

Is this sort of drawer runner available and where from? I,v looked in the usual b&q and screwfix but there more towards the kitchen side of things and i dont want these runners to be seen???

Thanks for any help.. :)

Blum seconded - the Blumotion soft close can only be described as incredibly sexy. And the full extension thing is excellent. I've got 80cm drarers I made for our kitchen, one of which holds all the china and another all the saucepans and frying pans. Heavy stuff.
Bit of a pig to fit thought as you have to be very exact about the drawer side thickness, the offset of the groove for the drawer bottom etc and have to hack four notches in a standard false-front drawer. Drawings in the Woodfit catalogue.

Hi Tom

Hafele and Hettich do undermounted runners. Hettich may be difficult to deal with as I think you need an account. But if you google on Hafele you should be able to find a stockist. They are both a little cheaper than Blum, quality is fairly even, possibly blum have a slight edge.

YOu don't necessarily have to notch the front, if you make the drawer longer by the width of the front the fixing bracket can be screwed into the back of the front.

Chris

Thanks for the replies. Good job i havent made the drawer yet as i didnt know the clearence allowence for the runners. :shock:

Mr T":2bft4dy9 said:
Hi Tom

Hafele and Hettich do undermounted runners. Hettich may be difficult to deal with as I think you need an account. But if you google on Hafele you should be able to find a stockist. They are both a little cheaper than Blum, quality is fairly even, possibly blum have a slight edge.

YOu don't necessarily have to notch the front, if you make the drawer longer by the width of the front the fixing bracket can be screwed into the back of the front.

Chris

Chris, I think you are getting your hettich and your hafele mixed up :lol: hafele are a supplier to the trade for all sorts of hardware - hettich manufacture concealed full extension runners amongst other things and are probably available from various sources.

For the OP, try Isaac Lord for the Blum runners which have the advantage of the the other makes (grass, hettich etc.) that they have an adjuster on the rear of the runner to enable you to tilt the drawer slightly to aid alignment.

Steve

promhandicam":265h7kwk said:
For the OP, try Isaac Lord for the Blum runners which have the advantage of the the other makes (grass, hettich etc.) that they have an adjuster on the rear of the runner to enable you to tilt the drawer slightly to aid alignment.

Steve

Steve have you seen the new Grass runners? They have an adjuster on the back of the runner and now have the same length damper as the Blum ones.

Oryxdesign":14lw6hvv said:
Steve have you seen the new Grass runners? They have an adjuster on the back of the runner and now have the same length damper as the Blum ones.

No I haven't seen them Simon. I guess that there can't be anything to choose between them and the Blum ones now. Do you know if Hafele sell the Grass ones or Hettich - I know they don't sell Blum.

Steve

Steve, Hafele sell Grass/Mepla/Wurth which are all the same. The new Grass runners seem really good to me, perhaps better than the Blum.

Grass have released a push to open electric powered system, I think these better runners have been driven out by that. The new push to open is really nice too, very neat and a bit cheaper than the old mechanical system, it actually pushes the drawer all the way open rather than just a crack.

Oryxdesign":28u15qdv said:
Steve, Hafele sell Grass/Mepla/Wurth which are all the same. The new Grass runners seem really good to me, perhaps better than the Blum.

I've gone over to using Grass runners and hinges exclusively. I prefer them to Blum.

Easiest place to buy them is from your local Wurth trade counter.

http://www.wurth.co.uk/tradestores.php

Grass are owned by Wurth. You've got to haggle for a price, though. I'm down to under a tenner per pair for 450mm concealed full-extension runners.

BradNaylor":3g9vvxcu said:
Oryxdesign":3g9vvxcu said:

I've gone over to using Grass runners and hinges exclusively. I prefer them to Blum.

Easiest place to buy them is from your local Wurth trade counter.

http://www.wurth.co.uk/tradestores.php

Grass are owned by Wurth. You've got to haggle for a price, though. I'm down to under a tenner per pair for 450mm concealed full-extension runners.
Why the preference?
Miles

BradNaylor":1815omip said:

They are but it's weird that I get a better price from Hafele.

promhandicam":b4upuifg said:
Chris, I think you are getting your hettich and your hafele mixed up :lol: hafele are a supplier to the trade for all sorts of hardware - hettich manufacture concealed full extension runners amongst other things and are probably available from various sources.

I think you'll find that Hettich are also a supplier to the trade very much along the lines of Hafele. Their catalogues are almost identical.

Hettich also manufacture however, whereas as far as I know Hafele are purely a reseller.

Cheers
Brad

BradNaylor":2zzaltpc said:
I've gone over to using Grass runners and hinges exclusively. I prefer them to Blum. Easiest place to buy them is from your local Wurth trade counter. . . .

Thanks for that info Brad. I've got a Wurth trade counter virtually on my door step and went in there for the first time this week to see what they do - nothing over the counter as it happens. I've got the reps card so will give him a ring to see what they can do. The one thing I like about hafele is that I can order online although it is a pain them having a minimum order of £50.

Steve

Wurth are great once you get to grips with their pricing. You've got to haggle over the price of every new line that you buy - but once that price is on the system it's yours for future purchases.

Its worth getting to know the guy on the trade counter - they have a lot of discretion with regard to discounts and will look after you if treat them right.

The quality of everything I've ever bought from Wurth is absolutely superb.

Cheers
Brad

Latest posts

Back