Concave Plane Sole

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Established Member
Reaction score
I have aquired a #5 bench plane and noticed that the sole of the plane is cuped, does any one know how I would go about flatning the sole and getting it 90 degrees to the sides.

Carl

Use a metal file to attack the sole and get it slightly concave (doesn't need to be along the whole length, just enough to have it sitting stable). Then flatten on a piece of glass with sandpaper attached. Don't bother with getting the sides 90 degrees just make them flat if you want to use it on a shooting board.

To flatten it roughly before taking it to the sandpaper-on-glass, you might consider offering the plane up to a mounted belt sander. I think this would take considerably less skill and time than trying to file it.

Remember to keep the blade in through the whole process........just retract it through the sole.

If you have doubts, you could get an engineer's shop to skim it for you.

Mike

You need to have the blade in as the tension does distort the plane body, so you want it configured the same as when you use it.

Perhaps the first question to ask is what make and model of plane is it? If it's a cheaper plane and needs a lot of work then it may not be worth your time to fix it.

Please note I'm not a plane snob! One of my most useful planes is an old Stanley Bailey No 6 jointer with plastic handles acquired for 15 quid off ebay. Just needed a clean and a fettle

Back