Computer problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is that it's a browser issue. Something like popups or javascript is disabled in the browser so it can't get into the next screen.

I couldn't see what browser you were using but try Chrome, Firefox, Opera or IE9 depending on what you're currently using and see if they do the same.

Are you running different anti-virus or software firewall on your cable connected machine to the WiFi ones ?
Do you have another router/rj45 switch in the setup. IP clash if both on the same default IP ?

Keyboard? case sensative or different key mapping.

I have plugged the laptop into the router via cable and I can access the settings ok so it's not the cable or the router. Both machines are running the same version of AVG with all the same settings. There's no other router present in the network.

What was the last thing you did* before your main computer stopped logging in to your router?

*software or machine changes

Nothing really. Although there was something a little odd. The computer did a windows update where it reticked some power option such as allow this device to wake the computer for the mouse, keyboard and router. Consequently the machine wouldn't sleep. Well it would but would self wake 20mins later. Ive had this before so knew how to fix it. I've no reason to believe there's a connection though. Routers been running fine soni never need to go into settings so this problem may have been there for a whole and I wouldn't have noticed. Other than that I've reset the router several times trying to get the admin admin thing to work which apparently it does, just not from my wired in machine.

1) Your problem of unauthorised access (ie Liverpool FC etc) is either

(a) because you have not secured your wifi connection on your router and a neighbour or someone is piggy-backing off of your wifi connection or

(b) someone in your household is accessing the web and looking up Liverpool FC etc.

There is no other explanation.

It has nothing to do with your router password being compromised.

2) You said that after resetting the router the username and password is set to Admin and Admin. Admin is five characters and so the number of stars in the username field and the password field should be the same. But looking at your video they are not the same. The password data is longer.. double?

Yes oh eagle eyed one. I'd already changed the password but obviously didn't want to give it out on the video. It's irrelevant though. The point is it wont log in when the correct password and user name is applied but it recognises when an incorrect one is entered. As for unauthorised access yes that's exactly right but how are they logging onto my network without the netword password?

p111dom":17gup8o4 said:
Yes oh eagle eyed one. I'd already changed the password but obviously didn't want to give it out on the video. It's irrelevant though. The point is it wont log in when the correct password and user name is applied but it recognises when an incorrect one is entered. As for unauthorised access yes that's exactly right but how are they logging onto my network without the netword password?

The router password is separate from your wifi password (if you have one).

Yes but you need to get into the router settings to change it which is exactly why I was trying to get into the router setting. Unless you know of another way to change a wifi password without logging onto the router settings?

Forget the wifi password for the moment.

Power down everything...all computers and the router.

Then switch on....etc

If your wifi setting has wifi secured (because you say you want to change the password) then the chances of it being compromised by someone piggybacking onto it are remote...unless you have a script-kiddie living next door and that you have only set the wireless security to its lowest setting.

Otherwise, Liverpool FC is being accessed from within your house.

Back