Computer Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Con Owen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am having a few problems with my computer, (operating system is windows 7, PC was purchased in June 2010 from Arbico who have won several PC Advisor awards, it has an intel i3 chip). I will list them below and hopefully someone may be able to advise me on what action I should take. Thinking back the problems started approx 4 weeks ago. I am not too au fait with computers unfortunately.

1. On starting up I frequently get a runtime error, it says:
Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime Library
Program
This application has requested this runtime to terminate it in an unusual way
Please contact the application support team for more information.

2. When in sleep mode it will switch itself off sometimes.

3. I sometimes cannot get connected to the internet, even though the wireless router shows everything is OK. If I switch the computer off and re-switch on it will usually connect.

4. Occasionally when sleep mode is selected the monitor switches off but the computer does not.

I am wondering if the runtime error as detailed at 1. could be the problem?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Con

Sound like seperate issues to me, When did you start getting the "runtime" problem.
I seem to remember having that problem with a Roxio video editing program.

Does the runtime error mention at all in there a software name or developer?

If you go into msconfig, (windows key + r > msconfig) there is a startup tab, in there is all the programs that come on at start up, try de-checking the one that is causing the problem if its named in the error. Or take them off one by one till you find the cause.

With problem number 3, instead of trying to turn the computer on an off refresh the network connection by going into network connections and disabling and enabling. If that sorts your problem I have a little program I have in my startup group that does that automatically everytime the computer comes on because of a similar problem between my computer and the router. Doesn't seem to effect any of the other computers so I put it down to some hardware glitch.

Hi Tommo

Thanks for replying. It was about 4 weeks ago.

Hi Chems

Thanks for advice. I disabled and enabled the network settings, hope this works, will let you know. Went into msconfig could not find any reference to the runtime error, so went to programms and actually found it there. Went to Google and asked what it did. Was not to clear but it was for microsoft operating systems x 62. I'm guessing that this means 62bit. Mine is 32bit. Which may have caused the problems I have been experiencing. So have uninstalled the program. Think it may have been an optional update from microsoft and I clicked on it without realising the possible implications. Will let you know how it goes. Once again thanks you for your help.

Regards
Con

Bump

Computer update.

Initially thought the problem cured but runtime error is back. I have tried the microsoft site, but no joy there. I will have another go next week.

Regards
Con Owen

Just get in contact with who you bought it from mate, send it back to them or the manufacturer, if it's less than a year old it'll definitely still be under warranty.

Good luck _Dan.

Chems":s8wy3pew said:
I have a little program I have in my startup group that does that automatically everytime the computer comes on because of a similar problem between my computer and the router. Doesn't seem to effect any of the other computers so I put it down to some hardware glitch.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread. :wink:

What's the name of the program you use so I can download it Chems? My wifes' laptop does this regularly and she has to disable / enable which sorts it every time but it's a pita.
I wonder if it's a windows 7 problem as it affects a coleague also and all 3 of our laptops are Toshiba, identical spec except mine's running vista ('till I can be bothered to update to 7).

cheers

Bob

I wrote it myself. :) I'll send it to you if you PM me your email. You just need to put it in your startup folder so it runs when the computer comes on. I've only had the problem since Windows Vista then Windows 7. Its something to do with the specific hardware in my new PC and one of the sub routers I use as the other computers and laptops dont have the problem.

Latest posts

Back