How to correctly wire 2-way switch for ring main

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your best bet is a separate ring for the extension, or failing that an unswitched extension to the current ring.

This would work but for both safety, and much easier maintenance, I'd much prefer to have a switch in place.

You can't make the switch shown do what you want. To make a correct ring extension you would need to switch both lives and neutrals, but you're well short of both connections and the right changeover pattern for that.

This is what I'd like to do. What about something like this farnell.com/europa-components/lbc324p/isolator-change-over-32a-4p/dp/MC02638 or a 4 pole rotary isolater? cpc.farnell.com/europa-comp...ed-32a-4-pole/dp/MC01597?MER=sy-me-pd-mi-alte

You will need a 4 pole changeover switch to do this. In the "off" position it will have to close the existing ring and isolate both ends of the new one and the "on" position it will have to open the existing ring and connect to each end of the new ring.

Sounds perfect, as that would achieve exactly what I am trying to do. Would this suffice? cpc.farnell.com/europa-components/lbc324p/isolator-change-over-32a-4p/dp/MC02638

Or what about a 4 pole rotary isolater? cpc.farnell.com/europa-components/lb324p/isolator-enclosed-32a-4-pole/dp/MC01597?MER=sy-me-pd-mi-alte

NB. I've had to remove https from the links to avoid having to wait for moderator approval.

Anon said:
I have absolutely no means to pay for a professional electrician ...
So live with things as they are until you have.

That would be very unsafe for me to do so, and it would be a much bigger job to correct later. Surely, if I do my research, then proceed carefully, there's a much greater chance of what I'm doing being safe, then making do with what I know is unsafe? That would also give me the option to later obtaining the correct testing equipment or hiring an electrician to do the testing for me.

I agree. Anon, I'm afraid you clearly don't understand some of the points being made here. What you are proposing is potentially very dangerous, so please just bide your time until you can afford to get someone in who knows what they are doing. Otherwise you will likely injure yourself or set fire to your property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back