Problem with my bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barlow

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks - hope you can help.
I have a Record RPBS 12 bandsaw which is quite old but really hasn’t seen much use.
For a number of years I have put up with a problem but thought it was probably time for me now to consult the experts.
When I switch on, the machine runs normally with no untoward noise - however, when it has been running ( sometimes for only a few seconds) and usually when I am in the middle of cutting, it starts making a loud vibration noise. I then have to switch off and then back on and the noise is gone until the next time. I have tried all sorts but it still does it.
can anyone help?

Does it have a brush on the lower wheel? My Startrite does and if causes the same noise if it's not properly adjusted

Pete

Sounds like a harmonic vibration to me, I know you said the machine hasn’t been used much but I think you ought to check the bearings on the wheels, don’t know it’s a good idea but it’s a thought, run the machine without a blade, if you still have the vibration it’s definitely the driving wheel. Ian

Hello
It could be quite a lot of things.
Most likely something to do with the tires, but you cant go by this alone without having a few blades to rule that out.
Has one or both of them moved about, or are they still evidently bonded.
Is there an even sawdust track on both wheels?

If the blade was tensioned for a long time without use, it could have compressed the rubber on each wheel.
This would be noticeable if you set your left guide very close to the blade, and see if it makes contact when you spin the wheels.
It could just be some compacted sawdust or resin that you need to scrape off the tires and the blade.

Tires in good nick make a huge difference in vibration, the blade will fight to stay on the crown.
I wonder if you could leave them without a blade on, to see if the profile comes back, maybe someone has a clever suggestion to remedy this without re-profiling.

Failing that you can dress them very easily with a plane iron clamped onto the cabinet.

That's only some possible issues.
Hard to answer without more information.

Tom

Hello
It could be quite a lot of things.
Most likely something to do with the tires, but you cant go by this alone without having a few blades to rule that out.
Has one or both of them moved about, or are they still evidently bonded.
Is there an even sawdust track on both wheels?

If the blade was tensioned for a long time without use, it could have compressed the rubber on each wheel.
This would be noticeable if you set your left guide very close to the blade, and see if it makes contact when you spin the wheels.
It could just be some compacted sawdust or resin that you need to scrape off the tires and the blade.

Tires in good nick make a huge difference in vibration, the blade will fight to stay on the crown.
I wonder if you could leave them without a blade on, to see if the profile comes back, maybe someone has a clever suggestion to remedy this without re-profiling.

Failing that you can dress them very easily with a plane iron clamped onto the cabinet.

That's only some possible issues.
Hard to answer without more information.

Tom
Thanks Tom - will try your suggestions

A couple of things you may wish to check, back off the guides and run the saw to see if the issue goes away, if it does you have isolated the problem, next back off the tension and try, conversely tighten the tension and try, take the blade off and grab hold of the wheels and try to wobble them, check the motor mount and the wheel mounts, before you do all that take the blade off and lay it on a flat surface and look for kinks in its length and flatness, that should cover all the basics.

A couple of things you may wish to check, back off the guides and run the saw to see if the issue goes away, if it does you have isolated the problem, next back off the tension and try, conversely tighten the tension and try, take the blade off and grab hold of the wheels and try to wobble them, check the motor mount and the wheel mounts, before you do all that take the blade off and lay it on a flat surface and look for kinks in its length and flatness, that should cover all the basics.
Many thanks for your help- I have so many things to try that I’m sure I will find the problem
Thanks to all who helped with this problem- brilliant forum 👍👍👍

Back