computer problem, can anyone please help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
All day I have not been able to operate with i/e9 and post or negotiate this forum buttons and others.

I did a system restore and went back a couple of days where there was a windows update registered. This worked.

My updates are set that they do not install without my acceptance.

However there were quite a few updates points available to restore to, so why is my computer taking in these updates, admittedly they are titled critical?

I use to do the same. I'd be halfway through listening to something but then found the computer had restarted in the night. I guessed it just installs the critical stuff for you to keep you protected.

who knows what Microsoft do ? I recommend trying a different browser such as Firefox. Better still use Linux and not Windows. More generally, when I used Windows on my home computers I never accepted any updates. As you have seen it creates unnecessary issues and for what benefit ? If it is security you are worried about then adopt some safe practices. Don't click any old link on an email. Use a webmail client instead of Outlook Express if you can. Do not download suspect messages.Create several email addresses using gmail or yahoo and use them for unimportant things so that your main one does not get compromised. etc etc

I believe you can set the preferences to either install all updates silently, install critical updates silently or install nothing without your permission, may be worth checking the settings.
When you say there are several restore points, are they points set before an update or just system set points? Windows will set system checkpoints regularly as part of its maintenance routine, even though nothing has been installed or changed.

Latest posts

Back