Compressor/Plumbing Fittings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilc

Established Member
Reaction score
When I was sheeting one of the walls in the workshop I decided to run a bit of Quel-PEX in the wall to the back storage area hoping to put the compressor out there.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any fittings to convert from plumbing 1/2 inch to compressor fittings. Has anyone done this before or know how I can do it.

Cheers,
Neil

If it's the stuff I've been looking at, it's rated up to 12bar.

Axminster sell the tubing and fittings in their 'Compressors-Air Tools' section, and it turns out they do a half-price plastic version of the brass one I posted earlier..

Thanks for that Fecn. I never thought of looking in Axminster. Our pipe size over here is 14.7mm so I don't think they'll work for me. If only they did the threaded type all I'd have to do is change the compression ring.
Neil

Thanks to this thread, beer, debit cards and impulse buys, I've got this lot arriving later this week.

JG Speedfit PE-X Barrier Coil Pipe 25m x 15mm
JG Speedfit Equal Tee 15mm 5Pk
JG Speedfit Elbow 15mm
JG Speedfit Wall Plate Elbows 15x1/2
JG Speedfit Plastic Pipe Insert 15mm
1/2" Reducing Bush Brass

Since screwfix don't sell the right gender of airline connectors, I'll have to get them from my local machinemart instead.

According to the manufacturer, everything's rated to at least 12bar, and since my compressor does no more than 10, I should be OK.

I'll let you know how it works out after I get it all installed.

Fecn":1sxommhk said:
Axminster sell the tubing and fittings in their 'Compressors-Air Tools' section,

No, they don't sell that tube or anything like it (i.e flexible PEX plumbing pipe).

Axminster sell a John Guest product but it is a rigid nylon pipe which is very different from the speedfit plumbing pipe which is the equivalent of the pipe that was referenced at the top of the thread.

John Guest say DO NOT USE FOR Gas, fuel oil or compressed air applications. for their equivalent PEX barrier pipe. http://www.johnguest.com/part_spec.asp?s=BPEX_S1

The specs for the JG plumbing and airline products match up even though they say 'do not use for compressed air'. Hose is good for 12bar, fittings good for 12. (edit.. axminster hose is good for 20bar)

The central heating system in my new house is made with all this plastic plumbing and is forever filling up with air.. compressed to around 2 bar.

Too late for me now anyway, I've already ordered the 'wrong' stuff.

Must be time for a beer.

Jake I'm not quite sure its the same pipe you refer to. This is from their web site
Qual-PEX metric size pipe is BSI Kitemark approved for use under the service conditions listed in BS 7291: Part 1: 1990 Class S:- 12 Bar at 20°C - 4 Bar at 82°C - 3 Bar at 92°C
and short term overload temperatures up to 114°C.
If it dosen't work I'm not really bothered though as it was left over from plumbing the house so I thought I'd put it in and see if I could come up with something afterwards.
Thanks,
Neil

Rather than edit my last post more, i'll post a new one.

Plumbing Spec:

Tube to 12 Bar, connectors to 10 bar.

Airline Spec:

Tube to 20 Bar, connectors to 10 bar

I suspect I'll do OK.

Parts from screwfix arrived today, so I've just spent the last couple of hours playing around with plastic plumbing.

100% Success (for now). Pressurised things to 10 bar.. no problems, no obvious leaks.. I gave it a fair bit of abuse, and no problems with the quality of the connections. Left the whole lot pressurised for 2 hours.

Spurred on by the successful test, I even started installing it properly on the ceiling.

Back