Comedians

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't understand how Jonathan Ross or Russel Brand are described as comedians, they have NEVER made me laugh in the same vain as, say, the two Ronnies or Tommy Cooper, I find their "humour" to be both cynical and sarcastic, is it just me? or do others actually find them funny, for the amount they are paid I would expect to have aching sides from listening to a comedian.

Rich.

Sorry mods, I posted in the wrong section. :oops: , perhaps you would be kind enough to move it for me.

tia, Rich.

I agrre Rich.
I used to like Wossy,but he as been getting on me nerves now for some time,and this last joke :roll: as just gone over the top me thinks.

That Russell Brand is awful - if he's ever on the radio I turn it off. If you listen to him talking about the incident on the BBC News website, he clearly doesn't know that, when you're in a hole, it's best to stop digging.

The sooner they fire him the better.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I do laugh at some of the jokes, and TBH the hoohah over the comments is going OTT a bit - there is other stuff going on that is far more significant that gets less coverage.

I think our sense of humour changes as we get older, I used to laugh at The Young Ones, but now it just seems banal, which is kinda what Brand is. Ross has at least got a degree of wit, Brand is just a famous hedonist.

Hate to say it Wizer, but I think we are getting old!!

Neil
Ps - on the subject of humour, I have just discovered Frasier. And it is great! Try it, I think you will like it.

Ross has never really been billed as a comedian, but at one time he was very funny. Unfortunately he has completely lost it of late.

Brand is apparantly a comedian, but really he's just total rubbish.

If I was the BBC, I would take advantage of their indiscretions and terminate their contracts forthwith, saving a fortune in the process.

Needless to say though, it won't happen.

Dan

I couldn't agree more although I have never heard of the Brand character. I may be getting old but I am glad if this is the sort of thing that passes for humour nowadays! Another good example are the idiots who host radio 1 now, the likes of that Chris Moyles who is another one who should be fired IMHO. How can sarcasm be funny as this is all that seems to pass as funny to these people now. And I thought my humour was sick??

Both of these characters have come very close to the knuckle on severial occasions...this time they appear to have crossed it huge time (I haven't heard the offending piece) As Dan says. it'll probably be a slap on the wrist for each rather than the boot which is what's required by all accounts. I have to say that I find Ross's show on the wireless on Sat morning marginally better than the one on the box, but I did enjoy the TV show with Tom Hanks where the obnoxious interviewer got cut right down to size :) - Rob

I don't 'get' what other people see in Russel Brand and I never have done. As for Wossy, the sooner he realises that people tune in to BBC1 on a Friday night to watch the guests (and not him!), the better. Sorry, the guy just irritates me (he has writers to do all his "gags" for him, apparently, so, I really don't see how the Beeb can justify calling him a comedian). :roll:

Chris Moyles is one of the reasons I avoid the radio altogether (then, of course, there's the musci... :wink:).

Lee Evans is my favourite comedian at the moment. Great stand up, although I didn't think much of his TV shows a few years back. :?

Bring on Jethro, now he DOES make me laugh, but seriously and without wishing to be a killjoy, these two supposed comedians are paid fantastic amounts of taxpayers money, I for one do not think they are good value
and would rather see the money spent on something like Autumn watch, or God willing, woodworking programmes. :D :D :D

Rich.

Like others here, i used to find Ross amusing, but for a long time now he has become an annoying twit who is so far up himself he needs a miners lamp. His repertoire ,if you can call it such, is made up of smutty adolescent comments and innuendo, which seems all the more galling when you consider what we as licence payers are having to cough up to pay him. Personally i wouldnt pay him in washers and i pray that he and Brand are both sent down for a spell for comitting a criminal offence, namely the making of an obscene phone call. Unfortunately, as has already been mentioned, he will probably get away with it. The depth to which he has sunk puts him firmly beneath contempt.

Off the soap box and back to the workshop.

Piggy

Another example of so-called "pushing the envelope" - AKA mindless drivel - which on this occasion was also personally insulting. Unfortunately, BBC standards allowed it to go out, so the rot really has set into the Corporation. I suspect that an executive "OK" on the broadcast also means that the "performers" are bomb-proof.

neilyweely":1ksy196u said:
Ps - on the subject of humour, I have just discovered Frasier. And it is great! Try it, I think you will like it.
Different league altogether - brilliantly written, clean, clever, plus farce at its very best. The five-minute silent part of the "Valentine for Niles" is as good as anything I've seen.

Incidentally, I've just discovered Steve Delaney's "Count Arthur Strong" and I'm now a fan. :)

Ray

Just had a look at the BBC news site and the complaints are now 18000+. I expect an announcement will be made shortly from the Head Honcho on the pair's future - Rob

oops, looks like it was just me who saw the humour in it. :oops: I'm not fan of either of them, I sometimes like Brand's take on comedy. Maybe they did take it too far. But where is the line? Some of the things that are shown on the new series of Little Britain are plain wrong on many levels, yet they are branded comedy heroes. I think Brand and Ross where just unlucky, if the media hadn't picked it up, I honestly don't think there would have been as many complaints.

There was a sketch in the Metro today of Brand and Ross in the Listings Manager's office, receiving champagne, how close to the truth that really is.... DAMHIKT

I think it's clearly a generation thing, the older generations will prefer morcombe and wise, the two ronnies etc.. whereas the younger generation rather obviously will like Brand, Ross, etc..

I happen to prefer the newer generation of entertainers/comedians than the old ones, it's not to say that either are better than the other, it's just down to references, thats all comedy is about really, observations and references, and depending on your age, you'll be able to relate more or less to various comedians.

As for Autumn Watch and the likes, there is plenty of that on the BBC to cater for that audience, just because you might not like a type of program doesn't mean it's inferior and should be taken of the TV, after-all, the BBC is trying (and sometimes failing) to cater for all ages and preferences.

I personally, would die of boredom if I have to watch any more Spring/Autumn watch, however, the big cats program was entertaining.

I'd be interested in Autumn/Spring Watch if it was just Kate Humble presenting and Bill Oddie was retired

3 complaints about an advert and it is instantly pulled, 18000 complaints about this and you can bet they will barely receive a rap on the knuckles.

I hadn't heard about this before today, but I definitely agree with sacking them both - not necessarily for this prank, they're both just cr*p. Russell Brand boasting *yet again* about who he's slept with? Last time it was Rod Stewart's daughter and he almost got his head kicked in by said pint sized popster, this time he's erring on the side of caution by picking on a 78 year old, nice one Brand - God you're so cool. Mind you, rotten eggs for the granddaughter in question, talk about displaying the most appallingly bad judgement to actually get into that position in the first place. Jeez.
Wossy is 20 years past his best before date, The Incredibly Strange Picture Show was brilliant, everything else since... not so much.

Just my opinion, natch.

ByronBlack":1pjez46f said:
I think it's clearly a generation thing

No it's not. Publicly humiliating people and broadcasting it as they did is totally unacceptable. You don't need to be of an older generation to see that.

Paul

Paul Chapman":16jweowk said:
ByronBlack":16jweowk said:

No it's not. Publicly humiliating people and broadcasting it as they did is totally unacceptable. You don't need to be of an older generation to see that.

Paul

Paul, your misunderstanding me, I was referrig to the preference of comedians and wasn't passing a comment on that particular circumstance. Because, I agree, that both should be sacked for what they did, it was pathetic and cruel.

Kenny Everet was sacked for much less I believe.

I was talking about them as a generation of 'comedian' and their ilk, not nessacarily this current action.

Paul Chapman":v5j05rwo said:
ByronBlack":v5j05rwo said:

Paul
Perhaps its the way of the younger generation :shock: attitudes are changing

Latest posts

Back