Colour of double glazing spacer bars?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I am making some double glazed imitation type sash windows for a customer which will be painted white. The units will have the warm edge type spacer bars round the edge and they have chosen black. I normally use light grey and worried the black will make them look like plastic windows?

Does anybody use the white warm edge spacers, never seen them used and the size I want are a special order from my supplier, just wondered why white does not seem popular, does it not look right?

Basically was just wondering what colour other people use?

Thanks in advance, Doug

I have always used black spacer bars for our timber windows. I think black tends to look like dark shadow wheras white can make the sash seem heavier, especially so with glazing bars.

I didnt know light grey was an option to be honest.

Hi - I've used white warm spacers in white-painted softwood sashes and they look fine to my eye. The DGU supplier suggested a different type of glass with the white spacers - low-iron I seem to remember (I think that the glass can tend to look a bit "green" otherwise). On manufactured doors I've bought in the past, it's just been self-coloured aluminium - which is nearly as reflective as white, I guess, and looks OK with a pale-coloured frame. If my sashes were to be any colour other than white, I think I'd choose a black spacer. Cheers, W2S

I normally go for black too. Even on painted windows I'd say it looks best. Personal taste though.
As far as i can recall most uPVC windows I've seen have the self coloured aluminium spacers.

Quick update, I ended up making a couple of small sample windows with the different colour spacer bars to show customers, when this customer saw them they changed their mind to the grey bar as they thought it looked more subtle against the white paint.

Thanks for the input guys,

Doug

Back