Coffee grounds and resin as crack filler?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAC

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a few cracks to fill and was wondering about using coffee grounds and resin to recreate bark inclusions. Would be grateful for any tips e.g. should the coffee be soaked in boiling water first? What ratio of coffee to resin should I use? The resin I have is the stuff from Halfords that is normally used with fibreglass.

Coffee grounds or saved dust from other woods are fine. Use epoxy and mix well then shove in the crack. Make sure that it is a bit proud as it shrinks as it hardens. You can also use coffee granules if you don't use fresh coffee. I have several jars of different dusts etc from different woods s I use a lot of green wood which can split as it dries

pete

If the holes are small coffee and thin CA glue is effective and instant, fill void with grounds, or as Pete suggests wood dust and drip in CA. (It's effective with big voids but is obviously more expensive)

Don't touch with fingers if it's slow to activate, it will stick and burn as soon as skin moisture comes into contact.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm off to fill some jars with a selection of wood dusts. :D

PAC":1vl1gcbt said:
Thanks for the help guys. I'm off to fill some jars with a selection of wood dusts. :D

I find the dark woods most useful, trying to get a match with lighter woods is not easy, a dark inclusion etc. looks more natural in most cases.

Back