Cocobola .. or what ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
This a bowl that was bought by my daughter at least 10 years ago for my wife. It's background is unknown as it was bought as an Xmas present and the daughter thinks it may well have had soaps or something in it.

It has kicked around the house a bit as it was just a rough turned bowl - quite good tooling but it had never been sanded or finished. In fact it's been used as a hat stand until recently - proper hat stand made.

It's been a real ugly duckling :D

So what sort of wood is it, and what finish do I put on it ? The other headache I have is that holding it on an ad-hoc jamb chuck has allowed me to sand the outside, but I need to tidy up the foot and then there's the inside, and I'm not sure quite what is true !

Rob

Attachments

• Eilidh Bowl.jpg
    Eilidh Bowl.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 598
OldWood":ht1n3vht said:
This a bowl that was bought by my daughter at least 10 years ago for my wife. It's background is unknown as it was bought as an Xmas present and the daughter thinks it may well have had soaps or something in it.

It has kicked around the house a bit as it was just a rough turned bowl - quite good tooling but it had never been sanded or finished. In fact it's been used as a hat stand until recently - proper hat stand made.

It's been a real ugly duckling :D

So what sort of wood is it, and what finish do I put on it ? The other headache I have is that holding it on an ad-hoc jamb chuck has allowed me to sand the outside, but I need to tidy up the foot and then there's the inside, and I'm not sure quite what is true !

Rob

Looks like Laburnum to me used to finish mine with sanding sealer and Briwax polish.

Phil

Certainly looks like laburnum to me, need to be a bit careful as it is highly toxic I always wear full protection when using it as a description in an old book always springs to mind - can cause death!

It does however have a great finish.

Two more pictures - one is the inside and gives an idea of what I started with on the outside and a better outside picture.

[attachment=1]Eilidh Bowl_01.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Eilidh Bowl_02.jpg[/attachment]

I'm not familiar with turning either walnut or laburnum - I do have some laburnum in stock, but this would have had to be some laburnum tree as the bowl is 16cm in diameter and the sap wood would have been some 4cm thick, and certainly some of the pieces of laburnum I have could give a bowl this size, but the sapwood is never that thick. The walnut pictures have the right amount of sapwood and again I've never done anything with walnut, but the dark section looks too rosewood like to my eyes.

Thanks for your ideas guys.

Rob

Attachments

• Eilidh Bowl_01.jpg
    Eilidh Bowl_01.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 444
  • Eilidh Bowl_02.jpg
    Eilidh Bowl_02.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 444
Back