coating for wood outside 2 pack varnish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunkolini

Established Member
Reaction score
Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:56 pm Post subject: New workshop, advice for first job

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tried this post in general and only got one response maybe it is more relevant here

At last I have moved into the new workshop, what a relief ro have space to move around at last. More shop pics to folow but first a technical query, see images below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30776408@N05/?saved=1

I have to make a pair of benches out of a large log that fell out of my customers tree a few years back, I think it is Cedar and it is wel seasoned The benches are going to live outside and have metal frames supporting them.

What finish does anybody reccomend, my new workshop neighbour reccomends 'Two Pack' varnish, we were going leave the timber to go grey naturally but it is too beautiful to do this to. What finishes can anybody reccomend.

Also how as it cut, bandsaw? would it be as dangerous a job as I imagine? the pieces of wood ar 2m long each.

all the best, Chunko'.

First of all I think that 2 pack products are not flexible enough for exterior applications and would tend to crack quite quickly.

If a silver greying effect is not desirable I would suggest the use of something with some uv resistance.If no added colour is desired for the cedar then the liberon decking oil clear would be one to consider.

Alternatively if colouring is an option then Woodshield (probably Teak) from Smith & Rodger would be a good alternative with better uv protection and sealing properties.

Hope this helps

WM

Although Linseed Oil will do a good job it unfortunately doesn't contain a UV filter meaning that the timber will go silver. It also takes longer to dry than the Liberon Decking Oil.

WM

Latest posts

Back