CNC milling machine expandable bed size

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
With all the different offerings out there at the moment it's difficult to find what I'm looking for. I would like a 3 axis (min) cnc milling machine for wood where I can make the bed size larger if needed. I don't want to be holding it so even though I would like a shaper origin that's not the solution, it needs to be set and forget so I can get on with other things. My workshop is a double garage and I have space for a 1220x2440mm full sheet cnc but not permanently, that is if I needed to do a load of runs of parts that needed full sheet then I could but when I'm done I either need a slick way of getting it out the way, or making it smaller. I do have the option to use pulleys and lift it up to the ceiling and out of the way but it can't be too deep or I will hit my head on it and the ceiling is 2.4m.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

A couple of thoughts. First how about wall mounted? If that still doesn’t work you can tile cuts. This lets you have a machine that fits you maximum width but not your maximum length. You can then move the work piece along and cut the next section. Quite a few of the CNC machines have open ends to support this.

A couple of thoughts. First how about wall mounted? If that still doesn’t work you can tile cuts. This lets you have a machine that fits you maximum width but not your maximum length. You can then move the work piece along and cut the next section. Quite a few of the CNC machines have open ends to support this.
Wall mounted could work in theory but I have heavy machines along my two main walls, a panel saw along another and the other one has a door and my extractor. I am interested in the tile cut method, can you ping me some links to products so I can have a look later please bud. 👍

The lack of wall space made me wonder if I could pull the cnc to the ceiling when I needed it out the way

Wall mounted could work in theory but I have heavy machines along my two main walls, a panel saw along another and the other one has a door and my extractor. I am interested in the tile cut method, can you ping me some links to products so I can have a look later please bud. 👍
Many many options. This is kind of the idea Genmitsu CNC Router Machine PROVerXL 4030, C-Beam Frame, GRBL Controlled, 3 Axis CNC Milling Cutting Engraving Machine, XYZ Working Area 400 x 300 x 110mm https://amzn.eu/d/8zoWt7O
This was one of the first that came up in a search. More showed up that had the electronics box attached to the rear those too can be used simply by repositioning the electronics box. All you are looking for is something with the front and rear rails lower than the bed.

Of course search for one that matches the width you need.

Random example of tiling

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on how much you want to spend. One option is to think laterally, a robot arm with a spindle mounted to it would be an option. You can have it roof mounted if necessary to save space.

I suppose it depends on how much you want to spend. One option is to think laterally, a robot arm with a spindle mounted to it would be an option. You can have it roof mounted if necessary to save space.
I'm intrigued, is that a thing?

Yep, have a look at Lignum on uTube he uses a couple as an example. (Guarding sucks)

Have you considered a Maslow? Set it up, do the work and then put it away until next time. Maybe not the machine for small delicate stuff but you could have a little tabletop machine for that. It is also the least costly way to have a big CNC in a home shop.
Disclaimer. I don't have one or any kind of CNC for that matter. If I was going to get one it would be where I would start.

Pete

My suggestion is -forget it.You may be able to carry out tiled cuts,as suggested but otherwise the very real challenge is to line up the tracks for the gantry and to conjure up a drive mechanism that will smoothly traverse the joints in the system.

The Maslow and shaper origin are both attempts to use a hand held router beyond it's intended purpose and while they may go some way toward this objective,one appears to have nothing to react against when doing a plunge cut and the other is rather vague.

I haven't seen a Yeti portable CNC in action,but would suggest that it would be a better idea all round. Yeti Tool | The Latest in Smart Routing Technology

Not sure how much robots secondhand are these days, however, as an example, here is one on marketplace. The nice thing about a robot is that it can also do 3D as well as 2D. If you fancy say getting into continuous handrail manufacture, you won’t be able to beat a robot for speed and accuracy. You would just need a high speed spindle which are easy to get and mount it to it.
F73DB8A7-E2C1-4ADC-88FE-F98448CDF54F.png

Wall mounted cnc machines are not completely uncommon ( I mean normal 3 axis not Maslow ) often mounted at a slight angle like a wall mounted panel saw.
A proper machine with ballscrews or rack and pinion and proper linear guides won`t really care which way up it is, there are advantages with the chips falling to the ground helpfully out of the way etc, work holding is a bit of an issue but not too bad. I seriously considered going this method myself as the machine can fit through a doorway.
I have seen some great stuff with robot arms but thinking about how to sort out the g code gives me a headache...

this ones cool

or if you want to get proper serious this one

My suggestion is -forget it.You may be able to carry out tiled cuts,as suggested but otherwise the very real challenge is to line up the tracks for the gantry and to conjure up a drive mechanism that will smoothly traverse the joints in the system.

The Maslow and shaper origin are both attempts to use a hand held router beyond it's intended purpose and while they may go some way toward this objective,one appears to have nothing to react against when doing a plunge cut and the other is rather vague.

I haven't seen a Yeti portable CNC in action,but would suggest that it would be a better idea all round. Yeti Tool | The Latest in Smart Routing Technology
oh you started something there with the yeti, it looks perfect, my wife will not be happy 🤣🤣

oh you started something there with the yeti, it looks perfect, my wife will not be hapI would try it out first.
I would definitely try it out first, I have some concerns about parts of its design and most certainly its value for money.
For the same money you could buy a proper machine with a water cooled spindle and a bed width of 1250mm or something and then pull through longer work and do it in sections with some form of indexing etc.

Ollie

The lack of wall space made me wonder if I could pull the cnc to the ceiling when I needed it out the way
good luck lifting a machine like that up and down to the ceiling, if its 8x4 it will outweigh most of your other machines. rigidity is important in cnc, im not convinced a heavy gantry mounted vertically will keep accuracy over time, you will get uneven wear on bearings and rack and pinion or ballscrews. look at tiling like others suggest, you only need a 2x4 machine to allow full sheets to be processed. I2R and inventables both make a model a little over 3 ft deep and a 4ft gantry running left to right, this wouldnt stick out more than 3ft from a wall but can be wheeled out to tile full 8x4 sheets

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 183674.3.jpg
    183674.3.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Angle mounting is fairly common (one of the local CNC workshops that makes custom doors has a 'tilted vertical' CNC router) but a 'lift up to the ceiling' would work too,,,
Years ago there was a mate of mine that had a combination model railway and slotcar set that literally filled a double car garage and lifted up against the ceiling when not in use- it weighed a massive amount, yet was easily lifted up with one hand (done using pulleys and counterweights on wire ropes, with foldup legs that set against the frame when not in use, and folded down when you lowered it)- it had about a dozen ropes in total that were simply ran from various points around the frame up to the ceiling through a pulley above each point and to counterweight attached to the other end( his were made up of random 'weight lifting' weights from exercise equipment with a threaded rod run through the centers and attached with a eyelet nut on the end to the cable and a washer and nut on the other end, fine tuned by 'feel'...

It couldn't be shifted with half a dozen people unaided, yet a single person could raise and lower it with ease on the counterweight system with one hand...
That table was a HUGE amount of plaster of paris on a ply table with frame underneath- I'd hate to think of its actual weight...

I have also seen a guy that stored his 8x6 box trailer up on the ceiling using a single 'boat'winch and pulleys using hooks to the tiedown rails up to 4 pulleys that ran from pulleys above it to a point they all joined together to a single cable, that then ran to a single pulley on the far wall and down to the hand winch- that weighted far more than any CNC machine does- they were very stout pulleys and cables, it doubled up as a engine hoist as well changing motors in his stockcar (he reinforced the steel beams in the shed of the roof to handle the added weight lol)
😲

Latest posts

Back