Close shave on table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Full credit to the guy for realising and admitting how stupid it was and publishing it to make others think about their safety.

I felt my heart rate increase then I watched the slo mo :-o hats off to his honesty

Looks like he was standing to left of the saw. Instead of pushing from the back of the saw it looks like he's pulling the wood toward the saw

Almost like he did it on purpose that pointy fdinger nearly wasn't eh (hammer) Thank goodness he had that sheet there to catch the projectile. It could have made a nasty mess of the drywall.

@Tom K he did do it on purpose...That video is part of a longer one demonstrating "kick back" and why you should use a riving knife....

ankledeep":1lxm75ag said:
.... demonstrating "kick back" and why you should use a riving knife....
And why NOT to use a push block - use a push stick or TWO push sticks (with short work pieces one pushes, the other holds the far end in, doubling for the riving knife).
And to set the fence back to line up just past the back of the riving knife so your cut piece goes free and can't jam once it's cut.
You get used to two push sticks quite quickly and it makes the work not only safer but also much easier with the extra reach and control, even right up close to the blade.
I'm not sure what push blocks are for. Not safety, evidently.

Jacob":2xvz55wl said:
ankledeep":2xvz55wl said:
.... demonstrating "kick back" and why you should use a riving knife....
And why NOT to use a push block
I'm not sure what push blocks are for. Not safety evidently.

Push blocks are for router tables and jointers/planers I believe.

ankledeep":ts3a8fbq said:
@Tom K he did do it on purpose...That video is part of a longer one demonstrating "kick back" and why you should use a riving knife....

Cripes I had wondered if the video camera was a normal appendage to table saw use.

Kind of on the same subject, watched an interesting clip on youtube at college, if anyone wants to give it a watch on you tube it's called:

SawStop Finger Demonstration - move over hot dog!

(not sure how to do links on here!)

That said. if anyone wants a new riving knife any gauge steel for startrite TA's then give me a PM i have patterned it up on the laser cutter and can knock them out for £25 including postage.

P

templecarpentry":1l5adslo said:
That said. if anyone wants a new riving knife any gauge steel for startrite TA's then give me a PM i have patterned it up on the laser cutter and can knock them out for £25 including postage.

P
:lol: Smart move! Worth more than £25 if it saves a finger.

I wonder if some fences also need modifying in that they can't be pulled back to line up with the riving knife? Saw it off to length or to add a short false fence are two options.

Latest posts

Back