Clear resin for large holes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guyforks

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks.
I wonder if anyone knows any brand names for a resin that will fill some quite large holes in some wide solid Sycamore boards I have. The holes are <100mm x < 40mm x 25mm thick. I would like to leave the resin clear. I did find a website with Crystal Clear Resin for Pouring and Casting but when I asked was advised against its use.
Any help on this one would be appreciated.
Glynn

You could ask East Coast Fibreglass in Newcastle - www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk - I have found them helpful in the past and post out orders the same day. With a hole that size you will need a shutter like concrete! Perhaps you may need a perspex bottom to the hole to pour into. Also perhaps a bit of grip on the sides of the holes to pour into. Does resin shrink a bit? i know it does settle like a baked cake out the oven. Good luck.

I would have thought that one of teh clear casting resins like the sort used for paper weights would have been suitable. The problem with a lot of the fibreglass type resins is in a large volume like that they get very hot when curing and also bubbles and discolouration are an issue.

Have a look at Alex Tiranti, they do a good range and its where I get stuff when casting. East Coast are good as said but I use them more for general fibreglassing.

http://www.tiranti.co.uk/subcategory_li ... ategory=10

J

A good clear casting resin is your best bet if you want it to stay clear as most resins you get in the shop discolour with age.

When mixed and setting they can get warm but I have never had problems with it spoiling or setting fire to the wood. One thing to watch out for is shrinkage, when mixing to go in a pre formed hole I always use the lower end of the recommended amount of hardener this reduces shrinkage and heat.

john

Latest posts

Back