Timber for 'gate'.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silfi

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to close off a gate opening at my daughter's house. It will be T & g 'V'ed boards fixed to a timber frame attached to walls at each side.
I can get a supply of 20mm thick reclaimed floor boards which I would like to use. The timber is resinous (pitch pine?) and has some solid small approx 25mm wide knots.
Is this a suitable timber and should the knots be removed and plugged or just treated with sealer?
It is a south facing exposure so gets full sun.

Grateful for any advice.

Could be fine in fact better than cheap modern wood.

I'd use knot sealer on any loose knots, if none loose then primer and top coat or several layers of wood stain..

Before any finishing, heat all knots up with a hot air gun. This makes the resin leak out. Let it go hard, chisel off, then treat all knots with meths, followed by a quality knotting solution. Don't, whatever you do, buy it from jewsons 🤨

Thanks for the replies -- hot air gun seems like a great idea.
Working with the reclaimed timber is much nicer than modern redwood.

old pitch pine is going to be far superior to anything you can buy now, it doesn't get much better with softwoods in terms of quality.

Back